Wednesday, May 31, 2006

ONE MORE MONKEY JUMPING ON THE BED...

Chemo #7-- check.
You may remeber my "8 Little Monkeys" blog title after my first chemo. Apparently, however, I didn't, because Carol and her sister Colleen kept giving me all these stuffed monkeys with numbers on them and I had no clue why. (In my defense, I thought one of them was a dog). So now I have 7 stuffed monkeys. Rock on.
Yesterday morning before treatment I was feeling as well as I've felt in months (extra day because of memorial day-- apparently, cancer doesn't work on holidays). I called to confirm my appointment time Tues morning and was told that I was actually scheduled for the next day. Wha??!! I couldn't believe how upset I got about it. It's just so frustrating to be bopping along thinking that I have things under control and then have something so small and insignificant throw me completely for a loop. I don't really like this new freakazoid person. Ah well. It all got worked out (because, I am, afterall, my parent's daughter) so I guess the new "get what you want and take no prisoners approach" has some advantages. I felt a lot better when they ultimately told me that it was the their scheduling mistake-- Good to confirm I'm not going crazy (in that case, at least.)
I can't believe I only have one more to go. (reallyicanbuthey) Well, actually, seems more like 1.5 since I haven't felt the full brunt of the effects of this round yet, but still. I find it amusing when people say, "You're almost done! wow, has time gone by quickly!" Umm, yeah, maybe for THEM... that's ok though, time is indeed marching forward at whatever pace, and hopefully soon this middleplace will be a distant memory. (Ok, likely not distant, but a memory at least).
Some random side-effects I hadn't anticipated: although I still have some hair (including eyelashes and eyebrows (sorta), (a digression-- Every night my friend's almost-3 year old daughter prays for what she's thankful for. Her mom told me the other day that eyelashes and eyebrows have been high on her list as of late...I hear ya, sweetgirl.) sometime during the last few weeks I seem to have lost all the body fuzz I didn't really knew I had-- on my upper arms, back, face... The result of this (besides being slick and fun for jim and the boys to pet (hey, we only have fish) is that my clothes tickle. It's very odd, but not unpleasant. I wonder if this is how babies feel? Does this (at least partially) explain why they wiggle so much? Also, (and this isn't quite as fun) I've got these blisters on the bottom of toes that has let me to wrap them up in athletic tape a'la turban style. That's the chemo pedicure, I suppose. (Actually, it's probably due to the fact that I mostly wear flip flops, but I'm going to continue to blame it on chemo, so there.)

A few more things to be happy about:
  • My sister Lisa is participating in the 39 mile (!!) 2-day Avon Walk for Breast Cancer June 24th and 25th. Originally, she had hoped to raise $2,000. Due to an overwhelming response she is currently less than $1,500 from her revised $10,000 goal. If you would like to read about her effort and possibly contribute, please check out her letter and/or web page.
  • Remember way back when I wrote about my colleagues donating their vacation time into my sick leave bank? I recently checked in with HR to see where I stood, given the likelihood of the follow-on surgery. In any event, over the past 4 months or so I have used about 280 hours (7 weeks) and (get this) I have over 420 hours left. That means that people at my work donated over 17 weeks of their vacation to me (in at most 20 hour chunks). I can not tell you how much of a difference this has made. How lucky am I?

13 Comments:

At June 01, 2006 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carolyn,

ONE MORE MONKEY! I know that you have already managed so much.

I never thought about how body hair separates us from our clothes. Seems like it should tickle all the time. I like the idea and also the idea about taking time to recognize the people and things that i am thankful for everyday.

Go sister Lisa! Glad to know about her goal.

Love from Lanka,
Mary

ps gotta say its my first time being first on the comment scene and i am psyched!!!

 
At June 01, 2006 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carolyn,

ONE MORE MONKEY! I know that you have already managed so much.

I never thought about how body hair separates us from our clothes. Seems like it should tickle all the time. I like the idea and also the idea about taking time to recognize the people and things that i am thankful for everyday.

Go sister Lisa! Glad to know about her goal.

Love from Lanka,
Mary

ps gotta say its my first time being first on the comment scene and i am psyched!!!

 
At June 01, 2006 7:50 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

good morning Carolyn, congrats on your completion of chemo #7 ... we're still here cheering as you go through effects of this round.

As always, love your blog and look forward to every entry. We're always thinking of you.

Much love from Lima,
Katherine

 
At June 01, 2006 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,

Last night you joined me in my dreams. It wasn't too detailed of a dream. All I remember is that we were making cookies and laughing in my kitchen!! Sounds pretty nice to me! I guess it's about time for me to send some more cookies your way...any requests?

Love Amanda

 
At June 01, 2006 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn -

Donating PTO is a no brainer - we are the lucky ones because we have the good (no make that great) fortune of working with you. Your blog continues to inspire many (myself included).

Lisa seems to be another family superstar raising so much money for a worthy cause. I hope she treats herself to some comfy new sneakers for her big walk. I bought a new pair not too long ago and they are about as ugly as a sneaker can get but feel like heaven when you are jogging. Something has to make exercise worthwhile besides the ice cream that follows the run right?

I hope that you are having a GREAT day today (and every day). Sending you HAPPY thoughts...

RBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At June 01, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Well I must be slacking...

I mean, eighth in the comment line? Sheesh.

Anyway, I have never forgotten the Monkeys post, and I'll tell you why.

When we get a call for the FD, the 911 center (Cencom) sends tones that activate all our pagers. They then state what vehicle(s) are being sent, the address and cross streets, and the nature of the call. Something like, "Rescue 21, Engine 21, Medic 21, motor vehicle collision at 305 and High School Road, unknown if injuries, time out 17:42." It's all very professional and concise.

Well, by coincidence, the day you wrote the Monkeys post, we got a tone as follows: "Medic 21, Aid 21, Car 21, 3 year old male..." (giggling, radio cuts out)... "possible head injury..." (poorly stifled laughter, radio cuts out)... "jumping on the bed..." (unmasked laughter at this point, radio goes dead again)... "fell off..." (having a hard time speaking now, other dispatchers laughing in the background)... "bumped his head"... (hysterical laughter from all parties briefly heard before the radio goes silent for the last time). Those gals and guys have one of the most stressful jobs around, and I guess they just couldn't take it all anymore. For the record, it was a real call, and kept smiles on everyone's faces for a few days--and the kid was fine. :)

We were all having dinner and just fell over laughing because you could just tell she realized halfway through the dispatch what she was saying. So I guess there's humor in just about anything, no?

We're riding out a mini winter up here, with a week of rain for no apparent reason, but hey, it's Seattle, right? Marci and Sarah are in town from CA, and reminding me why we stopped at two kids...

Hope you're hanging in there today and for the next few days as the effects of this round strengthen and fade. Time fast or time slow, you've definitely got momentum on your side now. Hope the strength and warmth being sent to you from all over the world reaches you every minute.

Hang tough, chin up, and keep your boot on the throat of this beast. Now how's THAT for a battle analogy?

love,
bmc :)

 
At June 02, 2006 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... no fuzz... You should try swimming now. No drag!

I have nothing to compete with monkeys... pretty funny...

But I just wanted to say hi, keep it up!

dustin

 
At June 02, 2006 11:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh I remember a blood test mix up and it wasn't processed right away and it was delaying my chemo. They wanted me to come back the next day and I freaked out because I WAS ON A SCHEDULE. I started crying and then it all worked out, but I understand the feeling of things being out of control and trying to keep what you can together. Here I thought it was just me. :)

Your co-workers rock. Family and friends are going be there for you mostly. Co-workers aren't obligated. Such a great response tells me you work at a great place AND you must be fabulous for them to show so much love. You reap what you sow, my friend.

Hope the side effects are mild and tolerable this round. Take care.

 
At June 03, 2006 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TIGEROXERS,

I wonder what we could write to get Carolyn to leave a comment on her own blog. Gosh, I think it would be cool to see her responses in here. Actually I just want her to be comforted and I want to know that these words can do that.

I love you, Carolyn!

Wishing I could be closer,

Mary Mary Quite Curious

 
At June 05, 2006 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although we didn't raise $10,000 -- WOW!! way to go Lisa -- Dejan, Milan and I all participated in the DC Race for the Cure (a 5k run/jog/walk) last weekend. It was a wonderful event and was really touching - from the inspiring survivor stories, to the hundreds of thousands of people involved with and touched by breast cancer to the huge amounts of money raised by these events for continuing research. There was such a huge wave of support and shared commitment - it was really something.

Good luck to Lisa on her marathon-and-a-half.

Cari – we think of you ALL THE TIME and I love you lots! Teri

 
At June 05, 2006 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you...and sending you lots of happy thoughts.

Be strong and be well!
Karlynn

 
At August 11, 2006 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 
At August 16, 2006 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home