Thursday, May 18, 2006

IT TAKES A VILLAGE IDIOT

Although I would like to, I can not claim credit for this blog title-- it comes from the name of a book that my mother-in-law got for me for mother's day... "It practically jumped off the shelf for you", she said (is this a good thing?). It's about a New Yorka stranded at a summer home in the Catskills. But that's how it kinda is, really-- I feel like I've been picked up and plopped in a world in which I neither understand nor fit-in, with my typical fail-safe companions (e.g., energy, good humor, good health) only in for occasional weekends. But, fear not, I am spared by the people around me, and the nutty things we come up with to amuse ourselves.
I absolutely dread going to chemo because by Monday morning I'm feeling pretty good and I so so so don't want to feel bad again. I'm a chicken. I find things to keep me from leaving the house... can't find my keys, need to get this or that-- you can pretty much see the mental fingernail marks on hardwoods. But actually being there isn't bad at all--dare I admit, fun really. Here is how it goes:
- I go back and get my vitals and Complete Blood Count (CBC) test. This only involves a stick on the finger. (which I am thrilled about every time-- I have come to hate "real" blood draws, which I don't have to get while I have my port)
- I sit back in the waiting room, until I get called into the dr. examination room
- she comes in eventually and goes through my test results (white counts ok, red counts better, but still anemic-- keep those $6k shots comin!)
-I go back out to the front, schedule my neulasta shot for the next day and next session in 2 weeks. Then I wait (again) to get called to the back. The whole preprocess is scheduled for about 30 minutes, and usually takes about 90.
-Next, I go to the back where they administer the chemo. 5 out of 6 times I've gotten a room to myself, which is nice. Michael comes in to "access my port" (how freaky sci-fi-ish is that?) This doesn't hurt much because I put lydacain on the area beforehand. Michael is a huge, quiet guy who is not quick to crack a smile. It has been my mission to charm him. I think I've finally succeeded. (Last time he asked me when I was coming back). He takes some blood samples (I've never heard anything about these, so I assume they've all turned out ok).
-The nurse comes in and gives me my pre-chemo drips. For taxol this involves steroids, benadryl, & tagamet... to reduce nausea and prevent an allergic reaction. When all this is done, she hangs the Taxol, which takes 3+ hours to infuse.
-After the infusion I get the anti-anemia shot in my belly, which I've found hurts A LOT less if I don't get it in my arm, it's room temperature, and they inject it slowly. Go figure.
Then I go home... Doesn't that sound fun?
I always read about people meeting friends who were receiving treatment at the same time. Everyone at my place seems to be 70+ and sleeping (how can people go to these things by themselves?), so this hasn't been the case for me. Luckily for me, I've brought along my own "chemo-buddies". It's been fun because I've gotten to spend one-on-one time with friends and family who I don't often see or (in the case of jim) get to talk to in a quiet setting. Everyone who has accompanied me has gone above and beyond in the "how to amuse Carolyn" department... to the point where a lady in the elevator last monday asked Meghan if she was staying the weekend because she had such a big backpack of stuff with her. Here's what was in her bag of tricks:
  • A book of mad libs
  • Coloring book and markers
  • "It's All About Me: Personality Quizes for you and your Friends" (If our lives were movies, mine would be a comedy, Meg's would be an animated musical)
  • A Latch Hook Rug
  • A Playboy magazine which she purchased at the airport. Now here I must digress: if you know meghan, the idea of her purchasing a playboy magazine, in an airport, no less, is hilarious. She bought it because when we were in college we got her a playgirl magazine for her 21st birthday for a joke, and when she opened it she threw it across the room in horror. We relished doing dramatic readings from it to see how red she would get. My reaction to her pulling out the playboy was similar to hers in college. "Put that away!" I whispered fiercely. I had gotten quite the reputation a few weeks before when my sweet mother-in-law pulled out a book of what I thought was flower origami and turned out to be "Kokigami: Performance Enhancing Adornments for the Adventurous Man" which is just about the funniest book I have ever seen. I made the mistake of showing the nurse and I swear she didn't come back for 2 hours. Now every time I go in there she makes remarks about me bringing in dirty pictures. And to answer the questions on everone's mind: "Why Playboy?" Because they didn't have Playgirl at the airport. And yes, we did read it when we were safely at home. There's a great article about golf courses that Meg's going to show her husband.
  • A PVC-pipe marshmallow blow gun. I highly recommend this for, well, anyone, but particularly anyone hooked up to a chemo IV. Michael came in to see why we were laughing so hard and we shot him. (He complained about "marshmallow bruises" the next day, poor fellow).

Joy can be found anywhere, it seems... as long as you're with the right people.

17 Comments:

At May 18, 2006 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can add to your "pervert" reputation there when I go with you next treatment. Just you wait! ;)

-T

 
At May 18, 2006 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

First I start crying over your Mother's Day entry - now I'm hysterical over this one, for much better reasons. Why size ammo does the gun use - regular or mini-marshmallows? How many can you propel at once? I would like to join you on one of your visits but the bar seems to be very high by some of the other villagers and by the time I get a slot you will likely not be entertained by a mere mortal...hmm, I think I am still willing to accept the challenge if you are game.

I'm sending you another intense dose of positive energy right now - can you feel it? I try to pass out these vibes daily at work but many times they come back (return to sender, address unknown); so rather waste them here, they are all coming your way.

I think of you daily and look forward to getting on your calendar very soon.

RBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At May 18, 2006 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is, as always, a joy. For some reason your site is now a web-sensed. prohibited site for me at work. My first reaction was, "how can they do that...there's nothing in that related to sex or sports" When I came home and read this latest blog, I couldn't stop giggling. I don't think the reference to playboy made it web-sensed, but for some reason the irony and timing of your post fit right in.

Carolyn, you are amazing. Your strength and personality are a gift to eveyone who reads this blog and to all of the lives that you touch. Your Mother's Day entry was very beautiful (yes, I cried) and then you write entries like this that make me laugh and laugh.

I miss you a ton and am thinking of you always! Can't wait to see that radiant smile again!

--kara

 
At May 19, 2006 12:41 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

OK, that settles it. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow. I wonder if we could somehow make a gatling-marshmallow gun...perhaps with the MSR gas from the m&m's experiment?

Were I in your shoes (and I'd wear them if I could!), I would hope I could muster even half the fun and humor that you do.

You probably get tired of hearing how amazing you are, but you are nonetheless. I know the weeks and months are wearing on, but we're all still here and sending all we can.

love you lots,
bmc :)

 
At May 19, 2006 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the interest of my fellow villagers......

www.marshmallowguns.com

www.curriculumconnection.net/buildmarshmallowgun.htm

www.advancedspuds.com/marshmallow.htm

for starters!

 
At May 19, 2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Yeay! Thanks, Meghan, for amusing Carolyn during her last treatment. It's so great to know she's in good village "hands"! However, you are setting the bar quite high for those of us yet to come. Fun stuff!

One more down, Cari! It's awesome that you are enjoying (some of) this journey. A different take on the old quote that seems befitting: The journey is the destination.

Love ya. Hang in there.
Pam

 
At May 20, 2006 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brave and Strong and Funny,

Which animal is funny so that you can add it to your mantra? And to your bracelet?!

I agree with Pam, the bar is high in the sky. My ideas for entertainment would be:
* watching a Margaret Cho DVD like "I am the One that I Want"
* playing sit down charades, just played and I had always thought you had to stand up to laugh but not true

Idea well needs to recharge.

Carolyn, you are a talented writer. Keep on writing. We are all with you, Babe!

Thank you for making me laugh.
Love,
Mary

 
At May 20, 2006 9:12 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Cari,
Seeing the websites about marshmallow and potato guns reminded me of a funny story...

While living in CA, Norm and I set about making the ultimate potato cannons. We used ABS plastic (not the best choice), and had really large combustion chambers on the back--something like 2" pipe for the barrels, and about 4" pipe for the chamber. We could put almost a whole potato in each one. We upgraded the typical flint ignition with one of those BBQ piezo sparkers. So you have to imagine the red button sticking straight out the back, and two grown (and supposedly responsible) men, with a bag of potatoes and two of these in our postage stamp-sized backyard in Foster City.

The usual combustible used is hair spray. Not having any (couple o' garage geeks, you know), we found some aerosol carb cleaner/starting solution instead (see previous parenthetic). Mind you, this stuff will start a car when sprayed directly into the carb intake.

So we load a potato each, spray the stuff into the chamber, screw on the cap, and then kneel down. We push the red buttons on the pavement (WW2 grenade launcher style, of course), and *click* BOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Those potatoes must have flown 100 yards straight up.

Norm looks at me and calmly says, "I think the carb cleaner might be a little too hot."

At which point we both fall on the ground because we are laughing so hard, and because we had (finally) just heard two potato plugs hit roofs somewhere down the block.

I was up for experimenting further, but Norm lost his nerve, with images of black bits of ABS plastic embedded in his chest and other soft parts. I was sure we could reinforce the chamber with an empty coffee can, but alas, the Potato Cannon Project was shelved... maybe another day...

It's a heck of a way to take out frustrations on a fence, though.

bmc :)

 
At May 20, 2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering if the other Villagers would be interested in getting together to participate in the Denver Race for the Cure this year (October 8)? We could have cool t-shirts (that say "Nobel Cari" or "F...Cancer" or "TigerOx" or "RBW Rocks" or something inspirational) to celebrate our beloved Radioactive Boob Women's journey and impending victory. I'm just looking for a good excuse to meet everyone, run a few miles, raise money for a good cause, and of course, eat a really large breakfast after the race with enough calories to fuel a marathoner for 2 races. This may already be in the works but since I no longer live in Denver, I was just thinking about Carolyn and the idea popped into my head (well, actually it's been in my head for awhile but I decided to take the plunge and put pen to paper so to speak).

Sending another million happy thoughts your way today....

RBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At May 21, 2006 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "lighter" side of chemo ;o) Don't get me wrong - it still sucks. Great post. though! I wish my nurses would've had some "things" like this!

 
At May 21, 2006 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cari -

Thanks to Meg for providing you hours and hours of amusement! And from what I've heard Playboy is supposed to have a lot of great articles...at least that is what guys always say. You not only have a terrific bunch in your village - they are pulling out all the stops to keep you giggling. :)

Ben's story reminded me of Kinetics this year. It was just as good as I remember when you and Jim brought me oh so many years ago, when we saw the Viking ship (with working catapult!), the Dalmation chasing the fire hydrants and that grasshopper. Anyway - this year they had this huge, gargantuan, really, really big cannon that could shoot basketballs and bowling balls - if I remember right, he said the trajectory went a half a mile! They used it as the starting gun for the race, which was complete with the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python's holy grail (the guys were the kni-ggits of the round table), a group of jesters in colorful costumes, and this one guy who had two boueys (sp?) tied to his bike that looked like slugs. Being the geeky engineers that we are we went over to the guy on our way out and was talking to him about it. He was absolutely beeming with pride...although he was a bit saddended that their bowling ball now resides at the bottom of Boulder Reservoir. He said that there is an underground movement with a bunch of mad scientists in denver - check out http://dmsc.org/ for some good entertainment.

Big hugs and lot of positive juju!
Karlynn

 
At May 22, 2006 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cari,
It was great fun to read your days at chemo. Although I know it is not all fun, the humor and lightness with which you write is awesome. Your spirit and good humor continues to take you strongly down this challenging path. You have much to be proud of in the way you have embraced this time. I am anxious to see/read It Takes a Village Idiot. Sounds like a great read to me.
Hang in there Cari!
Love, Colleen

 
At May 23, 2006 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's already been almost a week since my visit. It really was lots of fun to spend time together and wonderful to see you feeling so good, smiling so much, playing with X and Liam... watching you enjoy every 'not curled up in a ball' moment reminds me to appreciate the little things more - even when (or especially when) I want to launch my children out of a window.
(The magic of mommy's return can only last so long - Brendan & Clare were ignoring me and beating each other up within about 24 hours.) But hey, that's part of the parenthood job, right? And part of family life, and life in general. This is certainly something that you keep in perspective so well. I've always admired your ability to keep the big picture in mind - from "Anchors Away, My Lord" to Calculus class to superhuman time management skills permitting you to spend more time with friends and family to knowing that this cancer thing, too, shall pass . I know the tunnel seems a little long these days and there are more mountain peaks than you anticipated but I also know how amazingly strong you are and this combined with that amazing village you have will make the journey smoother and maybe a litte fun from time to time. I'll let you know if I think of any other ammunition options for the marshmallow shooter! Well, I know that I'm rambling and that you would edit my run-on sentences but oh well!
Big hugs to you and the boys!
Meghan
ps. Terry got a good laugh out of the Playboy magazine. He proceeded to tell me that depsite it's reputation, the content of the magazine is usually pretty good... (hmmm, and how might you know that, my Dear). Then he sat down and 'read' the golf article - did you know they had a golf centerfold? wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.

 
At May 23, 2006 7:22 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Mabye it should be the "Baby Cannon Project/Child Cannon Project" next time around? 'Cause Sister Meghan, let me tell you, we are on the SAME PAGE this week!!! In the past 24 hours I have seriously considered whether an adoption agency could place a 3-yr.-old and a 1-yr.-old. Hmmm...the possibilities...

Maybe pack the cannon with Spongebob PJ's for wadding, then the kid with a bicycle helmet on (for a good seal and keeping the head centered), surrounded by goldfish crackers and cheerios to assist with twist in the riflings...

Or is that just too macabre?

bmc :)

 
At May 23, 2006 11:00 PM, Blogger Dana said...

I think about you often and appreciate your humor! Hang in there...it will end. Finding joy in the journey is what it's all about! Oh wait, that's the Hokey Pokee...

 
At May 25, 2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could hardly stop laughing. Meghan - you're a hoot.

Carolyn, thank you again for sharing so much with us. You know, sometimes it feels like you are doing as much and often more for all your zillions of village fans, bringing grins to our faces, sometimes tears to our eyes, always sharing a very Cari perspective with more humor and sensitivity than I have on any of my good days. Not only are you a hero, but you've surrounded yourself with a bunch of other heros, too. But I bet you already knew that --

You are Noble Cari

love you lots! Teri

 
At August 17, 2006 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home