Thursday, May 11, 2006

ON THE ROAD TO NOTHINGNESS

I am back revived and rejuvenated from the wonderful trip to Austin. We had a great time at the wedding relaxing, enjoying the Texas Hill Country, and (best of all) spending time with friends from far and wide. Highlights included the wedding ceremony, some amazing thunderstorms that almost brought the house down, mary's stories about tennis lessons with a bunch of 10 year old Sri Lankans, pam intrepidly shooing a Longhorn out of the road, and spending time with Jim without the kids. I had been afraid to say out loud how much I had been looking forward to this weekend, for fear that I would jinx it, but phew. Congratulations Matt & Caroline!! (and thanks). I had a good few days working in the Austin office, where I got several comments on my cute new hairdo (I'm really going to have to spend more time styling my hair once I get it back...). Amazing how just focusing on my job for 2 days in a row is such a much appreciated novelty.

Liam is doing great at back at daycare, O2 leash and all, which is another huge relief and a step forward on the "road to nothingness," as my surgeon described that much-longed-for-day when we are through this middle place and back to our lives as we wish them.
Dropping the kids off at daycare is a frantic game of beat the clock to try to make it back out of the parking lot before the 30 minute validation expires. I almost always fail in this endeavor (usually by about 30 seconds) and inevitably end up paying the $2. Ever since I started chemo, the very sweet parking attendant won't take my money. "As long as you're going through this Carolyn, you don't have to pay," he tells me every time. (How does he know my name?) I honestly thought that he just pushed a magic button and opened the gate, but today I figured out that he actually pays for me... which was horrifying. I tried to explain to him that he most definitely didn't need to do this, but he was adamant. "All I can do for you is pray and pay the occasional $2." My first thought was, "Good lord, I better make sure I get out of here in 30 minutes from now on!" but after further reflection, I realized how much of a gift he has given me. Since he started waving me through, the 30 minute pressure's been off-- I've been lingering, instead of rushing out. Case in point was this morning when I hung out for an extra 15 minutes and Xander showed me his domino and counting work. He and his friend Lili walked to me to the door and both gave me hug kisses to send me on my way. I've come to love these interludes with him. He's so proud to have me around and it's so fun for me to see him in his school environment. Who knew that a slice of peace could be granted for the occasional $2? There's some larger lesson here about small gestures making a huge difference and the importance of learning to accept help... but I'll just say again that I am continuously amazed and inspired by the kindness and generosity of new and old friends alike. It makes all the difference.

12 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, a very touching journal site today. How wonderful showing you are in his thoughts by his kind gesture. The world is made up with a lot of wonderful, caring folks and he's just one of them. Know you are always in my special thoughts and prayers. God bless you.

 
At May 11, 2006 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for kind gestures!

Once I was on a road trip with my parents from Chicago to Michgan to see family. It was hot - it was Africa hot and the a/c in the car wasn't working, we hadn't left on time and everyone was in a bad mood (and very snippy). On top of it all, we had to wait in this gargantuan line at the toll booth for what felt like forever (is was at least 20 min). When we got to the front...the driver ahead of us had paid our way. I was stunned into silence. How could someone I don't know be so nice to me? I couldn't even thank whoever it was because they had already driven off into the blistering sun. Like you said, it is amazing how $2 from a stranger can not only make my day but make a whole family realize how ridiculous we were being. After that, it was one of the best trips we had together. :)

Big hugs and lots of positive karma,
Karlynn

 
At May 11, 2006 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn! Glad to hear you had great time in Texas. I remember working at the Denver office on a weekend and was dressed in some of my favorite jeans (more holes than Swiss cheese, paint stains, a true work of denim art) and a ratty sweatshirt. When I got to Lincoln & Broadway, I noticed an elderly couple scrounging for change to put in the parking meter. I walked over and handed them a few quarters - no big deal except the woman tried to refuse the money and actually tried to give me some dollar bills in return. I then had to explain that despite my attire, I actually was gainfully employed, could spare the change, etc. Since that time, I have recieved several unexpected "pay it forward" moments in my life (and recently, literally two weeks ago, said good bye to those jeans).

You are always the first person to offer to help another so it's nice to hear that you are getting (and accepting) a little help now and again.

Have a wonderful day - chin up (because it exudes confidence), big smile (because you have a beautiful one), and lots of positive attitude (because you have a VILLAGE supporting you).

RBW Fan Club President - Pasadena Chapter

 
At May 11, 2006 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is 'wow'. It really is all about the little things... a couple bucks here, a couple minutes there to enjoy the good that surrounds us. There really are a lot of good people in the world, and leave it to you to bring out the best in us all. Many heartfelt thanks to you, cari. You rock and you deserve every bit of kindness you receive. I, on the otherhand, probably ought to be charged a DOUBLE parking fee everywhere I go :)
can't wait to see you!
megO

 
At May 11, 2006 11:36 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Meg, you ROCK! I'm in the double-parking club too! But I guess dragging people out of wrecked cars has bought me a few reprieves...

Cari, you sound sooooo great today. It's like a little break from the madness. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all (ALL) just forget about the whole thing for awhile? "You say CANcer, I say canCER, you say TUmor, I say tuMOR! CANcer, canCER, TUmor, tuMOR, LET'S CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF!!!"

Lots of love to you and Jim and X and Wham, and to everyone else out there reading and supporting. All are in my deepest thoughts tonight.

love,
bmc :)

 
At May 12, 2006 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your precious moments that started from a kind person. Glad you had such a great time in Texas!!
: )
Good Karm...what goes around comes back around to you!!!
cyn

 
At May 12, 2006 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C -

Thanks for sharing the great parking lot attendant insight. I bet our nameless protagonist doesn't even know that his selfless gestures will spark a zillion extra kindnesses to strangers today!

Love you - Teri

 
At May 12, 2006 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Unc B

 
At May 12, 2006 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Carolyn,
Yeah, for another great blog entry!
I had a distant realative (my mother's aunt's sister-in-law's dad's cousin, I think), anyway, she worked as a ticket booth operator on the Canadian border (NY end). When families with young children came thru on a hot summer's day, she felt so sorry for them sweltering and crying in their pokey non-ac cars; she started bringing homemade cookies & lemonade and cool washcloths so they could refresh themsevles while they waited for change.
Unfortunately, the transit authority police or troklodites or whatever, decided she was costing them money. Eventually, of course, she was fired, but not before many families were given happy respite and many generations of her extended family could have the chance to celebrate her sweet self.
Thanks for letting me share her with you.
Love and goodness to you all. Love, Cal

 
At May 13, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good reminder for all of us to think about doing more "little things"...which, in actuality, can become huge to someone else.

Glad Austin was fun. We enjoyed our time with X and Whamo :-)

 
At August 07, 2006 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At August 17, 2006 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home