Thursday, May 04, 2006

NOT CURLED UP IN A BALL

Welcome to phase 2 of the wonderful world that is chemo. The fact that I am not curled up in a ball of misery at 3 days post treatment is a very good thing. It went well... no allergic reaction (which is really exciting, considering I am typically allergic to everything) and ben did a great job amusing me... Sometimes I wonder if perhaps this is all just a big ploy to have some one-on-one time with friends and family.
The treatment caused some pain and discomfort, but nothing debilitating. Maybe they have you go through AC first so the second half is reasonable in comparison? I do assume this series will be cumulative as well, so I am trying to enjoy the respite. I'm almost over my nasty cold. I'm still coughing a ton-- when the oncologist said "I don't like the sound of that cough" I immediately thought "do I have lung cancer?" Which is really lame and ridiculous, but I guess that's how I'm going to be for awhile (hopefully not forever?). Funny how you think you've come to terms with the whole "new normal" and then something like that happens and you realize how different you've truly become.
Speaking of adjusting to new information, I found out last week that I tested positive for the BRCA1 genetic mutation. Basically, now we know why I got cancer. It wasn't growing up in Colorado, or eating too much candy, or having my first kid over 30... it was because I have a mutation in one of my genes that is known to greatly increase the risk of breast and ovarian cancer. It's pretty amazing, really, that they know this. They even knew to look in one of 3 specific places in the gene because I have eastern european jewish ancestry. If the test had been "negative", it wouldn't have meant that I didn't have some gene that was screwy, just not one of the 2 that they've identified. So now we know. Knowledge is power, right? (...but isn't ignorance bliss?) In any event, now my path forward isn't necessarily as clear. This gene mutation indicates a level of risk that may induce me to have more surgery-- prophylactic bilateral masectomy and/or oophorectomy (e.g., boobs and ovaries removed for protection). Back I go to all of the doctors to learn more about different risk levels, procedures, and options. yippee. Honestly, it was pretty hard not to be devastated... I just so wanted to see that light at the end of the tunnel (which, apparently, was a train?) but the truth remains it is what it is, and now I just know more about it-- so we can make more educated decisions.
The concept of being a genetic mutant is one that could lend itself to some good jokes (or a movie roles in an X Men movie, perhaps?). I did really come out on the lucky side of the genetic dice toss, though... Honestly, I'd rather be smart and sick for awhile, than stupid for my whole life. Granted, right now I'm both stupid and sick, but it's all about the timeline.
For what it's worth, dear readers, I no longer feel like I'm on the downward side of all of this. What's that called when you're hiking? A false peak? There's something so debilitating about thinking you were on the way down and looking up to see further to cliffs to scale. As Xander would say, I NEED you (although for the full guilt-ridden emphasis you'd probably need to hear the actual whine-sob). I need your blog entries, your emails, your calls, your cards, your good wishes-- anything-- to continue. I know it's been months already and this is getting, to say the least, tiresome... but as my energy continues to wane with each passing chemo, I don't doubt I have it in me (wellmaybesometimes) but I've pretty much given up the ghost on the independence thing, hard as it is (andOHitishard) to admit. help.

A few more (HUGE) things to be happy about:

  • Happy Bday Whammy & Benny! (5/3)
  • tomorrow jim and I go to Austin to participate in the wedding of our dear friends Matt and Caroline, with the added bonus of getting to see common friends from around the world (Peru, Sri Lanka, DC...)
I will be back, hopefully feeling better than in recent memory (which in my case goes to about 5 minutes ago), on Tuesday.

20 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 7:02 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Hey Car,
Reading this entry after experiencing a lot of this with you makes me miss you and Colorado and everyone there so much. It is one of the few times in this process that I feel like a participant; like someone who had some small impact in the overall picture for you. I can't tell you enough how wonderful the two days with you were.

Taking previous comments a step further, I know that the caliber of people who surround you will stand shoulder to shoulder with you for as long as it takes. Count me in. You need only look to your calendar to know this--it is always full. I know that we will all move heaven and earth to do anything you might possibly need.

I continue to hold you near to my heart and soul. You may be right about this being a big ploy, but nonetheless, there is no question that my relationships with you and all those I care about have been forever altered. That's a "new normal" I can live with.

Love you lots, see you soon.
bmc :)

 
At May 04, 2006 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cari -

I am here and I think you are great! Be sure to give yourself a hug (literally wrap your arms around you and squeeze!) - and as you do, say out loud "I am radioactive boob woman and I am amazing!" Because you are (!!!) and there are a zillion people out there that agree with me (right all you zillion people?!?)

I totally get your analogy. I hate those false peaks! Just about as much as I hate passing a hiker that says "you are almost there!" In my vocabulary, that means 15 minutes of gentle grade walking. Unfortunatley for the rest of the world it usually means another 1+ hours of grueling rock-scrambling (shouldn't I be wearing a harness or something?), up up up. It can be very hard to deal with - and can wear away at your attitude.

The great thing is that your village is here - and please don't ever forget it! We want to help in any way we can! I just wish I could carry you up over one of the false peaks - it seems like you have had so many to deal with.

I admire your strength and courage and I know that your positive attitude is helping the chemo toxins find all those rouge cells. I think about you and pray for you often. I love you dearly and want you to be well.

Wishing you grace and peace,
Karlynn

 
At May 04, 2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

Stay strong! You have been amazing, you are amazing right now, and you'll continue to be amazing :-) Your blog and determination are inspirations to everyone around you.

I'm sending you a big hug right now!

Peace,

Jonathan

 
At May 05, 2006 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

See you tomorrow!

A pleasant surprise (I am actually flying through Denver!).

I just finished my my third semester here at HSU. And to be honest I have been really getting close to being burned out. The last quiz, I gave my class I asked for feedback on how the course was setup. And you know what I got? A whole bunch of comments letting me know that I made a difference in their lives. It really made me wake up and shake off the doldrums.

The point of the story is that, it reminded me that I should pass on the same comments to those who have made a difference in my life. And you are one of them. You always have been an inspiration with your energy and optimism. Now everytime I come to your blog you put my life in perspective and inspire me.

So thank you.

I can't wait to see you tomorrow.

dustin

 
At May 05, 2006 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just another unexpected bump in the road. You will overcome (apologies to MLK).

If it makes you feel any better, I was stuck in Richland all week. I saw an exhibit of a device that would irradiate your drinking water with radiation from radium, because they thought radium would make the water some curative elixir. Richland kinda sucks, by the way. (look up the word schadenfreude, for your amusement)

Maybe I'll see you this month. Hope I can pull it off.

Phil

 
At May 05, 2006 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari,

Jetting off to Austin! That is great. Austin is a great energy place. Missed getting Whammie's present to him for his birthday. Will probably just have to mail it. Am glad you are back to writing in your blog. Am pulling for you everyday! Monkey number 2 and five are coming, just a little slow on my end! Hang in there girl. You are awesome and have such great spirit.

Colleen

 
At May 05, 2006 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even better than looking up the word schadenfreude, would be to ask Jon - he is a fan of the word....and oh, by the way - he suggested he would be available to contribute a guest blog, perhaps with a political bent......(figured you needed a laugh!)

You know your village is right here behind you and I am pleased that you are allowing us to help you over any and all peaks.....in the end it helps us as well

bec

 
At May 05, 2006 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, you keep your spirits up and don't allow yourself to worry about what isn't until you get more information. Know we are all here for you and care. Believe each person has so much going on in their life with loved ones, health crisis' to deal with, but we'll all get through it with each other; that is what friends from all walks of life do for each other. You don't have to know someone personally; it's just being there for each other that can make a whole world of difference; you need support we'll give it to you dear. Hey I may need your support down the line. Take care. Enjoy the weekend. AJ

 
At May 05, 2006 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
Hope you're having fun in Austin!! Whamo is sleeping peacfully...it's tough work karate chopping Santo. Funny little dude...he's scared yet fascinated by the dogs. He needs them in sight, but not too close at all times. Santo is now lying outside his door watching over his litle buddy....it's pretty cute.

As for the latest news...like I said before....apparently we are in a game of Russian roulette. We just weren't aware of it until now. Now that we know, someone can help us dodge the bullet if need be. As for our genes...I second your opinion...I think we all lucked out. Life has and will continue to be good for us!

I love ya Cari!!

 
At May 07, 2006 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this story and thought you'd enjoy it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/05/01/armstrong0508/index.html?cnn=yes

You might also pick up his book.

Phil

 
At May 08, 2006 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

Hope you had a great time in Austin. Your village is sort of like that tv commericial about cell phone coverage - the guy looks around and there are hundreds of people representing his 'network coverage' that go every where with him. We are all behind you, around you, with you, wherever you go.

I hosted a co-ed baby shower this weekend - it was quite humorous when the baby boppy was unwrapped and the only single male attendee asked "what's that." Well, it certainly adds a new dynamic to a shower. I'm just thankful no one bought the mother-to-be a breast pump because I'm not certain I would have been able to witness the explanation....

West Side Story was on Saturday morning - great movie to vacuum and dust to - when your song came on, I started singing the new alternative lyrics....you see, the village is thinking of you 24/7.

Have a good day.

RBW Fan Club - President

 
At May 08, 2006 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari -

It was so really wonderful to see you and spend the weekend with you and Jim.

I'm still processing how absolutely, positively, amazingly, outstandingly and inspirationally fantastic you are - are there some more adjectives that I missed? But you know, those adjectives (or are they adverbs? who really knows anyway?) just don’t cut it - we simply need some new superlatives. "Carimazing" seems too obvious; "Superlicious" has already been used, besides I wouldn't necessarily want to compare you to chocolate, but on the other hand it's true that both you and chocolate make the world a much better place; "Nobelonderful" is too long winded; "Fabu-dandy" could work for me for now - and it has a nice bit of a Texas twang to it, too.

And I really loved hearing your laugh and seeing your smile and was once again amazed by your attitude. This all sucks so much, but you never stopped smiling... well ok, maybe I caught a tiny snarl after some coughing - but only once. You rock. And you ARE a rock - where did you get your super-powers? Is that part of the mutant gene thing, too? It is a good thing you have these zillions of us pretty strong people with you, too, so that you don't always have to be a rock!

I'm sending you a huge, huge, huge, huge hug and lots of good karma and plenty of sunshine and only cough-less nights from here on out!

Lots of love,
Teri

 
At May 08, 2006 7:30 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

I think my son may have the right descriptor--he calls her "noble Cari". That sums it up for me--chin up, head high, choosing in no matter what.
love,
bmc :)

 
At May 09, 2006 1:41 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

So much fun to see you in Wimberley!!

More soon and much love,
Katherine

 
At May 09, 2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow,
"noble cari"
Really says it all...
Guess it's no surprise you have royal blood lines. Might it be an understatement to say that the royal gene is a royal pain in the neck? (and numerous other body parts?) Good news is that although the gene sucks, the royal village sure can't be beat.
Hope you had an absolutely fabulous weekend. You sure deserve it.
Big hugs to you all,
MegO

 
At May 11, 2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you, Noble Nobel!

I felt like Harry in When Harry Met Sally when he leaves Sally and says "I miss you already". Despite the sad leaving scene, I can still say how wonderful it was to see you and Jimbo in Texas. That was such a therapeutic trip for me. I am still so happy!

Carolyn, I read every word of this blog and the Tigeroxers comments. You are a strong and brave captain to this mighty supporting team. I am impressed not only with you and your powerful words but with this team of zillions you have created. Can you feel it? Our support. I can feel it. Every word glows with it. We are solid and right with you all the time.

I enjoyed getting to know more about the team members this weekend. Nice to hear about Ben and read Dustin's story and Teri write an excellent comment. Can I just second her entire comment, you Fabudandy?!

Thank you for X and Wham stories. Keep em coming!

Go Tigeroxers!

Love to you!!
Mary

ps i am back in lanka, it's sweat machine 5000 here.

 
At May 11, 2006 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

having read the previous post, I feel compelled to add that I have found a side benefit from the village of Tigeroxers - I can not only feel the support for you incredibly strongly.....
even more incredible...I seem to be getting a side benefit of feeling the support to keep me personally "pumped"

as usual - a big thanks to my Noble/Nobel friend....

bec

 
At August 06, 2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At August 11, 2006 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 
At August 16, 2006 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home