Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I DRAW THE LINE AT ANYTHING INVOLVING MIDGETS

*Note: This entry is a guest blog written by T*

Carolyn is the "nice sister" in our family. None of us are evil by any means (well, depends on who you ask), but Cari is always offering to help and always saying sorry for things she doesn't even control.

Exhibit A:

Our house growing up had an amazing hill behind it on which to go sledding. We had many good times back there in the winter. One not so good time for me was caught on videotape when I was about 5. The sequence of events happened as follows:

I slide into the picture, bravely taking on the sledding hill by myself on the inflatable inner tube. Mom is standing about 10 feet down the hill, in position to stop me from careening down recklessly into the large ditch many yards below.

Mom: "I'll catch you! Ooof!"

Oops, the tube bounced off her legs and sent me in a wild spin down the hill towards sure disaster. The whole family was out on the hill in various spots. As I spun out of control, eventually tumbling into a bush not far from the bottom, an interesting study of reactions took place:

Lisa: *consuming handful after handful of snow at the bottom*

Mom: *laughing*

Dad: *calmly continuing to film as his youngest somersaults into shrubbery* (hey, the camera did not shake even one time)

Cari: *dropping her own sled, running up the hill to save me* When it was obvious she was not going to reach me in time, she helpfully yelled out: "She lost a shoe!"

Exhibit B:

Cari was the oldest of three, and therefore sacrificed herself for Lisa and my eventual social lives. She had a curfew of 10:30 p.m. and I had no curfew. Enough said.

Exhibit C:

It was my duty as the youngest sister to be a pest. Therefore, I would do things like read Cari's journals and spy on her with her boyfriends. The fact that she didn't kill me for such actions says a lot.

Exhibit D:

A few years ago, Cari and I went backpacking in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. It was my suggestion to take the straight uphill route, which led us into an endless route and torrential downpour. We could've turned back, but our mantra was "Must press on!"

Eventually, we made it to a flat camping spot, but the rain didn't stop and the winds picked up. Somehow we got the tent set up, Cari's lips were blue, but it was no thing to her. Then came the challenge of going pee. You see, this urinating on the spot thing is easy for guys, but women have to make a little more effort in the wilderness. In her infinite wisdom, Cari came up with the idea (and this may be too much information) of one person squatting and sticking her butt out the tent door, while the other person holds on to her arms so she doesn't go tumbling out into the mud pantsless.

That's dedication, folks.

I do have a point in presenting all this evidence. The "nice sister" is so generous to everyone else, that she has a hard time accepting others' returning the favor. What I have seen over the past few months has been remarkable. The kindness by her "village" has left her no choice but to give in and be propped up by infinite support. She, alone, has the will and the strength of character to make it through each day of this process. But the generosity shown by you all (and I mean all of YOU reading this entry) makes her an overwhelming favorite to soundly defeat this thing.

I still don't think it's easy for Carolyn to ask for help, but she's improving. She asked me to do this guest blog, and said, "I could pretty much ask you to do anything at this point, huh?"

Just about. But I draw the line at anything involving midgets.

14 Comments:

At April 25, 2006 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it T! Brought laughed and tears when I read your entry!!! She is an incredible women. You and Lisa both have been wonderful sisters!
Love to your family!!!
Your friend since you were 5 yrs. old who help you spy on your sister's...
: )

 
At April 25, 2006 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear T.,
what a great entry! It made me smile. You are a great support for Cari each and everyday!
Love, Colleen

 
At April 25, 2006 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-

Well done! As the youngest of three girls, I too benefited from olders sisters. I did not have a curfew, I did now know how to put gas in the car until I actually had to (I think I was in college and the car was stalled out), and I even recall sitting in between my eldest sister and her boyfriend on the couch while watching t.v. (his arm was around me and almost around her). Oh how I loved watching the "Love Boat."

The beauty of being the youngest is that eventually we grow up and can help out the others. In my case, it took awhile (that's why I was born the youngest...I would have made a crappy older sister). You, like Carolyn, are an inspiration to all of us that read/blog/visit the website. Take good care of Carolyn until I can get back for a visit and know that you have a village of supporters cheering you on as well as you go through this journey with you big sister.

RBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At April 25, 2006 11:49 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Hey T,
I know it's evil, but I have laughed each time I've seen that videotape. Not because you wound up in the bushes, but because I had a similar experience with Cari and your mom. I was sledding down that very hill on one of those flat orange toboggans. On my belly, I might add. At your mom's encouragement, I went off a "cool jump". Well, there was also a "cool rock" in just the right spot on the landing. So that male-advantage-peeing-in-the-woods thing can be a liability as well...
Help was not forthcoming from Linda, as I recall...

Cari is so lucky to have two amazing sisters and all the other friends and family around her. But they didn't all just appear--they've been there along, as a reflection of her life and what she stands for. I've said it before, but it's such a testament that all these people didn't just pop out of the woodwork due to bad circumstances; rather, they've been there all along and now are just like, "OK, that's the next thing we have to do right now." I would venture that it's much harder for Cari to put aside "all things to all people" for awhile than it is for everyone else to provide everything they have! It's all good.

Thanks for a great entry and making me laugh.

bmc :)

 
At April 25, 2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story and great imagery. I especially laughed at the title. Obviously carolyn has a great family.

I do however have to make one correction. My senior year of college, we were given the task of picking an actual construction project in NYC that was not too far into development and putting a twist on it to make it our own (conceptually of course). Having walked through the street of New York for 4 years I noticed many "midgets." So, my group (and this was my lovely idea) decided to make an apartment building become housing for "midgets" (there's a reason why I always use quotations now because I consider it someone elses word, as I am no longer allows to use that word)

Anywho....my group went to present the idea to our advisor (who was also the dean of the civil engineering school) Let's just say that the entirety of the civil engineering school heard utter silence followed by laughter that was so outrageous that it contained snorting followed by a lecture on the fact that the politically correct term is "vertically challenged."

Enough said, we designed a baseball stadium instead....just what New Yorkers needed...let the "vertically challenged" people suffer as long as they can enjoy a good ball game.

 
At April 25, 2006 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T - thanks for the laugh!
I love hearing growing-up stories about your crazy Nobel clan! Seriously- you guys could write a series of books, they would sell like crazy and you would all probably end up on Oprah. (You did WHAT???)

And as for doing things for Carolyn - I am sure that many of us feel the same - lucky to help her out after all the times she has helped us! Whether it is making us laugh, giving us that big, beautiful smile or being a shoulder to cry on, Carolyn is always there for everyone (as far as I can tell). So, of course we are going to be there for her - she deserves it and even more!

OK Village - let's keep it all going! Half way through chemo and some radiation sessions to go!
:)
Karlynn

 
At April 25, 2006 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with Karlynn and echo her sentiments that Cari has done SOOOOOOO much for SOOOOOO many people, that it really isn't a question of 'do I help?" ... it's HOW do I help and WHAT can I do". I just think Cari has gone to a bit of an extreme to get people to do stuff for her. I mean, geepers, you could've just asked! I'm sure you would've gotten plenty of favors ;) When I think of the unending list of things Cari has done for me, it makes my head spin. I think my GPA would have been a full point lower if she hadn't proof read my papers!
As for the 'midget' thing, it sure has my curiousity peeked and me giggling... T, you wrote an awesome blog - no surprise. Obviously the sense of humor and cheery disposition are family traits. I've heard about that video so many times, I feel like I've actually seen it.... and it always makes me smile. As does the thought of your family and village rallying around all of you. Big hugs to Denver,
MegO
ps. BJ, I wanna buy a hoe!

 
At April 26, 2006 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, someone needs to digitize that video and put it on the internet!

An excellent guest entry! But no one should feel any pressure to produce blog updates for our benefit. We'll provide moral support regardless.

I guess I should watch West Side Story so I can appreciate the song lyrics.

Phil

PS-I had food poisoning yesterday, but I know that's nothing. Keep it up!

 
At April 26, 2006 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn...the next time you go camping there is this wonderful contraption called a "port a penis"...it is like a little funnel that you place you know where and you can actually aim the P.A.P. in directions (preferably downward)..I used up my only one but I'm sure you can get them on line. It was wonderful seeing your abode. Carol and I can't wait to get our hands on your back yard so we can build up our 50+ yr. old triceps and biceps.....

 
At April 26, 2006 11:49 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

OK, I wasn't going to go there, but since Francie broke the ice...
Another such device for women is called the Freshette (reusable, but how do you clean it in the woods?), and I will now publicly admit that I've stood and peed next to my wife (also standing) on a 14er in Colorado. A very bizarre experience. What would Freud say?
bmc :)

 
At April 28, 2006 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - I agree with a.fish - just ask and I can (and want to!) do lots of things to help out. kcory@alum.mit.edu and 303-934-4099. You could even try me at work 303-384-7464,

:)
Karlynn

 
At April 28, 2006 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm stuck on the "mindless" activities brainstorming...

~ do a gum taste testing with lots of different flavors and brands. or forget about the taste testing and just chew and blow bubbles.

~ blow bubbles and watch Alexander chase them around.

~ mold stuff out of playdough or silly putty or just sit and squeeze it or fold air bubbles in it and then pop them.

hmmm...seems to be a bubbles theme going on...what movie has bubbles? Splash has a sceen with a bubble bath...

Thanks for providing the sister stories Cousin T! any chance you can stream that home video on this site ;)

lots of love and healing to everyone! :) Amanda

 
At August 09, 2006 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At August 16, 2006 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home