Friday, February 03, 2006

WHO CARES ABOUT NODES WHEN YOU'VE GOT THE KING OF SQUIRM?

I went back home to my "real life" last night. Not before my mom fixed up all of my dressings and helped give me a shower. We were joking about how much it was like when I give X a bath-- helping to put on my clothes and washing my hair (at least I didn't whine about it). Moms never stop being Moms like that, I guess.
I arrived home to tons of cards, lots of food, beautiful flowers, and a tree on my front porch. How awesome are my friends?
The Dr. called soon after I got back to report on the pathology. They got the whole tumor, clean margins. But they did find a little spreading in the lymph nodes. Again, upsetting, but I'm not sure that it changes anything, other than it's really good they took out the lymph nodes to begin with because otherwise I might've had to go back into surgery. They confirmed it's an agressive type of cancer that will definitely require chemotherapy, but I knew that. I think I can say I'm cancer free now? (but I'm scared to jinx myself)
So great to see the little guys. Nothing like a full body happy squirm from a 9 month old to lift the spirits... and X, with all of his words and stories and random burst into dance moves...
X: "Mommy are you sick?"
C: "Not really. Just got that bump out and now I'm a little tired and sore."
X: "Do you want it back?"
C: "Not so much."
I can hold Liam, but not lift/shift him, which is really limiting considering he's the king of squirm, but it was enough to just see them. Wow are they tiring though, and I wasn't even doing anything. (Yes, mom and dad, you were right that I should stay away for a bit).
This morning I get to go get that drain out (YEAH!! faster than I'd anticipated) and this afternoon my friends are coming in from the east coast and we're going up to the mountains for a trip that's been planned since the summer. No skiing for me, but I can watch movies with a mountain view, right?
I've used up almost all of the pain pills, so I'm assuming I won't need them much anymore... Maybe I will go snowshoing this weekend?
(just kidding dad)

8 Comments:

At February 03, 2006 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snowshoeing!? You're fortunate I haven't tried to stop you from even going up there. Remember...no driving! But have a great time. You definitely deserve it!

 
At February 03, 2006 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,

I am so glad to hear how well your recovery is coming. And I am so glad you get that drain out today! Hopefully you will be a bit more comfortable without that.

Have a great time up in the mountains. Tell Pam (and kids in tow) I say hello, and let me know when you get back. Hopefully, I will talk with you after the weekend.

I have food at the ready when you all run out. Just let me know.

Thinking of you,
Christine

 
At February 03, 2006 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's best you can't go skiing or snowshoeing this weekend. There is over a foot of fresh snow that would melt with exposure to your radioactive boobs ;)

Have a great weekend!
T

 
At February 04, 2006 9:47 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

How about I'll take your 9-month-old full body wriggler for my 15-month-old full body "get rigid, whine, pinch and bite" kid? :)

I hear that percoset and bourbon are better at altitude, so have fun with that.

Once you've got 'em down, keep 'em down. No looking back now...

You are power and energy (even before radioactive girl parts). Have a great weekend and enjoy that beautiful family and state...

best,
bmc :)
p.s. Go 'Hawks!!

 
At February 05, 2006 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My main hope for you is that the chemo/radiation treatments combined with your arsenal of defense mechanisms build a body defense as strong as a STEEL CURTAIN.

 
At February 06, 2006 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

I can't wait to see the king of squirm and his older brother. Those are two great kids you have there. I hope that you are feeling better a few days after the srugery and that had a great weekend up in the mountains.

Love,

Mike

 
At February 06, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website is very cool. I'm 100% positive that you'll be ALL RIGHT. Looking forward to seeing your new hairdo.

Judy J

 
At February 06, 2006 6:04 PM, Blogger rudolphsonice said...

Dear Cari,

Hope this message finds you feeling better and less sore. Please hug Jim and the kiddos for me and Mike. It's wonderful being able to keep up with you this way. We will be fresh recruits for helping out when we get back April 7th. Maybe we need to revisit Dinner and Dish and get stocked up again.

Love,
Andrea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home