Wednesday, January 25, 2006

PET SCANS & OTHER STRANGE ANIMALS

So now my dad has the radiation technicians calling him. Thanks to that, we got the PET scan results as early as possible in the morning:
"There is a hypermetabolic mass measuring 21mm in diameter consistent with the known breast cancer. Mildly elevated metabolic activity is seen within at least two lymph nodes in the left axilla. The largest of these measures 6 mm in diameter. The finding is suspicious for early changes of malignant adenopathy. No findings suspicious for distant metastatic disease are seen. No bone metastases are identified."
Quite good news, considering the sensitivity of the test, and the number of false positives I've heard about. Honestly, I was kind of dreading getting the results a little bit. I'm quite optimistic as a rule, but I guess I haven't quite bounced back from the shock two weeks ago. It's so odd, when I get these test results back, it's like I'm in high school waiting for my SAT scores... and then when something turns up less than ideal (>2cm tumor, estrogen receptor negative) I feel terribly disappointed, like I failed, somehow. What's that about?

On a happier note, Jim's brother Mikey, who is currently working with his wife Andrea in antartica, (frozenteachers.blogspot.com) sent me the following:

"I was thinking if Jim and the kids wanted to make their own blogs they might use some of the following:

Jim: Nimble as a goat, elusive as a fish.
Busy as a beaver, large as a horse.

X: graceful as a penguin, fast as a cheetah.

Liam: Slithers like a seal, wails like a hyena."


Other submissions? :)

1 Comments:

At January 31, 2006 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For our family, may I suggest:

Dad: Tenacious as a Bulldog, Stealthy as a Leopard

Mom: Crazy as a Rabid Raccoon, Caring as a Den Mother Bear

Lisa: Persistent as a Woodpecker, Loyal as a Golden Retriever

Notice how I made sure to include nice descriptions :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home