Thursday, February 02, 2006

NOTES FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Almost 36 hours post surgery and I'm feeling... I don't know... weepy? I would've described myself as chipper until maybe last night, but I guess all the drugs cycling in/out of my system have hijacked my happy thoughts. I'm not sad or pessimistic or anything. Just weepy and tired and sore. Like a campbell's soup commercial would make me burst into tears.
I've been staying at my Mom's (she even let me stay in her bed... now there's true parental devotion for you) and I almost feel like I'm on a different planet, but I don't know that I could've handled the commotion that is our household just yet. I was thinking I'd go by daycare today to see the little guys, but I guess I'm not quite up for it yet. It's so hard for me to allow myself this time to not feel ok, especially since everything went so well, but I need to give myself a break. (Easier said than done)
In any event, everything went as planned the day of the surgery. In the morning I was commenting to jim that it would be the last time in awhile that I would be able to lie on my left side. "You should give me a backrub then," he suggested. Good thinking :) He also offered to make me eggs and steamed milk, which would've been a really nice offer except I was prohibited from eating anything after midnight the night before. At least he kept me chuckling.
About 9 I got wheeled over (now I know what the kids in the strollers feel like!) to the breast center where in about 3 minutes the dr. inserted a needle, a wire, and then a radioactive injection into el lumpo. So added to my increased superpowers, I could also pickup radiowaves there for awhile... The wire was a surprise to me, (didn't hurt or anything) and was put there to help the dr. with locating the mass. My mom, dad, jim and I hung out in the preop room (very nice)for a few hours until the anetheisiologist came in to discuss all of the risks-- we were confused about the risk of retinal scratching and the dr. thought it was amusing that we would be discussing that rather than the risk of, oh, death. A quick checkin with the surgeon ("ok if I play Coldplay?"-- now that comment confused my parents) then wheeled off.
I had to take off my glasses, so couldn't see anything, and that made it easier (softer?) somehow. Down we went through several series of double doors from the patient preop where we started to what seemed to be more and more industrial areas. Ladies with big trashbins scooting out of our way, gaggles of drs scooting by discussing a party planned for the weekend. I half expected to see some guy welding in the corner or something. Then into the operating room. What seemed like 20 people around hooking things up, shifting me around, putting massage boots on my legs to prevent blood clots (those were cool) a guy in a mask confirming it was my left breast, right? Then shooting me up with something that made me feel like I had had 3 margaritas (allright!) the dr. holding my hand, looking at me with reassuring eyes... "it will all be fine..." Coldplay in the background... then...
Wake up Carolyn.
squint at the clock. After 4pm. That's late. can't... open... eyes... try again...
first thought: I don't feel too bad. second thought: how did they get these clothes (supertight bra) on me? third thought: they weren't kidding about the sore throat. Dr there. "Were they negative?" I ask. "Yes" she smiles. "Fantastic." I mumble. sweet relief washes over me.
Jim in the room (they weren't expecting to be able to see me so soon, but I guess I stabilized really quickly) "Hey bright eyes" he say.
Not for long, as the percaset starts to kick in. I was on my way to my mom's in less than an hour. Blurry drive home. Up a lot that night, but not too painful. Just awake.
So glad to read all of your messages. Jim said some of you got me a tree. Makes me smile just to think about that.
Time for more drugs and more 24 (this is a good show to watch on drugs, it seems) Jack is trying to stop the virus. I'm trying to stop being weepy.
We've all got our own battles, I suppose.

10 Comments:

At February 02, 2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, so great to read your words, and have it sound just like you! Congrats on how far you've come, be kind and gentle to yourself, give yourself time, and know that you are surrounded by our thoughts and prayers. Your office next door is dark, and is a constant reminder of you and what you are going through, you brave and strong woman!

 
At February 02, 2006 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even superheroes deserve some weepiness breaks. After all, it's only fair to give the rest of us the chance to be strong for YOU once in awhile. You don't ALWAYS have to be strong for us...OK?

 
At February 02, 2006 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weeping at commercials is a wonderful and catharic act - crying lets you get it all out (which is MUCH better than holding it all in!). I try to cry once a month just to let it all out (and to let go). So I say - you go girl! (And I agree with your dad - sometimes superheros need time for recovery too. :)
Big hugs,
Karlynn

 
At February 02, 2006 1:55 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

You are reminding me of one of your high school outbursts:
"Soup IS good food! Waaaaah!" :)

Weepy is growth; old parts of the soul dying, new ones being born. Greater strength on the other side.

What a strange day Tuesday was. Kind of like you and the rest of us have all been preparing for this big (long) event, and now the game's afoot. Such a bizarre thing to be on the sidelines watching this one. I mean, we all get in there and roll up our sleeves and provide all the help and support that we can, but you're the one who has to actually do it, right?

So now the whole process is no longer discussion and preparation, and there's a strange sort of relief in the air, like the remainder of the process is just something to be endured, not really something to be feared. Easy for me to say, right?

And then getting back to life, interrupted.

At least that's my feeling from many miles away.

I am so so so so so happy to hear the good news re: surgery, and it is the first of more good news to come. I'm also so very inspired to see all the support for you--it reminds me of a wedding, where all those people assemble in the bride's and groom's honor--all these people are once again assembled and presenting a front on your behalf, because you deserve it. You are the common thread amongst us all!

Sweet drug dreams,
bmc :)

 
At February 02, 2006 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI there.

So glad you it all went so well. I am impressed that you are able to write so clearly! You must be in top form.

As for the weepiness- I am not sure then if you and I shoudl get together, seeing as just about anything sets me off right now (or, really, anytime!) But, as Karlynn said above- crying at commercials is a wonderful and catharic act.

Let me know if there is anything I can do... I am thinking of you!
Christine

 
At February 02, 2006 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

Great to hear from you!!! Coldplay is a fine choice of music for any occasion it seems. I am amazed at the level of detail you can actually remember. I'm glad you were sitting down when you had to take your glasses off - why it was just Saturday that I took mine off because I had a headache and decided that I needed to get a glass of water from the kitchen - in less than 10 seconds, I had bumped into a wall, tripped over the dog (she really is hard to spot, all 40 lbs of cuteness), and caused my husband to nearly choke on whatever he was eating due to the comedy of the situation. My lack of coordination seems to be heightened without my trusty spectacles. Alas, I hope you are feeling better with the passing of each episode of 24 and dose of percoset. Let me know if you need me to do anything for you (I'll fire up the oven and send a batch of cookies as soon as you are ready).

Sending you HAPPY THOUGHTS from Pasadena....

 
At February 02, 2006 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari - (AND Jim AND Jeff AND Carol & Larry, etc....) seems to me you put a LOT of energy into staying positive and learning what you needed to learn and processing it in a way that kept you positive and strong to head into surgery, so you owe yourselves (all of you) some time to process the scare and the sadness of not being PERFECTLY healthy all the time and the nuances in adjusting your perception of the world in which you now find yourselves (more doctors than usual...) Thinking that that will happen without a teardrop or two is is sort of testing the limits of human adaptation.

Thank you for sharing it, though -- I love you and am still sending the positive Helen Rudolph vibes to you.

Love,
Mary

 
At February 02, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Great to hear your "voice" Cari. Sounds like an interesting surgical experience overall. You are an inspiration to me.

By the way, I've been weepy before & I don't think you can make yourself stop being weepy. It just is. Just let yourself. Embrace it & laugh at it. You've got a lot on your plate without battling yourself.

I'm really excited to see you.

 
At February 02, 2006 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never have really followed a blog before. But after two days I think you have me hooked. Your description of going into surgery was very familiar. You brought me right back to my ACL surgery. Right down to the "which leg is it?" Keep writing. Even if it is about weeping. It is life.

dustin

 
At February 03, 2006 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn, I am Andrea's sister and she told me to check out your blog site. I am deeply sorry to hear about the cancer, and at the same time inspired by you. Your comments and feeling of the matter are so strong and positive. I will be keeping up with the blog and if you ever need anything let me know. Stay strong,and keep on trucking. love, Ashley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home