Monday, January 30, 2006

LUCKY

I recently learned that a good friend of mine has MS, and has had it for almost 10 years. She is one of the most giving, creative, involved and cheerful people I’ve ever met. I by no means mean to imply that people with MS can’t be all these things—hardly. I was just amazed at how she has not let this diagnosis define her. It’s just something she deals with… has been for a long time, and will for a long time to come. Likewise, I have two friends who both only have one hand. Both of these woman are among the most stellar I have met in my life… regardless of any “handicap” (although you would never think to describe these woman as such). Another close friend has nasty back problems that required surgery last year and make it hard for him to walk sometimes, but he’s up in the mountains every weekend skiing with his kids… and my sister, who also has long standing back issues, comforted me, “my shoulder is numb right now, it’s not that bad” when I told her about the potential loss of feeling from surgery… I guess my point is that so many people have their own (often staggering) issues to deal with, and everyone handles everything so well… and all of them are asking what they can do for me. It’s humbling.
Today, I feel perfect. I have no symptoms. I have this lump in my breast which I can feel, but doesn’t hurt at all (when I first got the diagnosis I was certain I could feel it almost pulsing with malignancy, but I think that was part biopsy side-effect and mostly mind tricks). Both my kids and my husband are healthy (for a change). Work isn’t even that stressful (especially since I’ve canceled all of my business trips!).
Tomorrow I will go through significant surgery, but nothing compared to what my sister and my friend who have had back surgery have been through. Chemo is horrifying, but relatively short term. And radiation, well, at that point, I think it will mostly just be an inconvenience.
Sometimes I wonder if I’m making too big a deal of this? Am I letting it define me? Am I taking advantage of the cancer diagnosis to shamelessly solicit support when there are so many people that deal with so much more on such a long term basis without asking for anything?
Granted, after tomorrow, I likely won’t be fully myself again until around my birthday in October. (this is obviously more of a distant concept than a reality to me—that denial thing again, I guess) But the other day, I watched a fantastic movie, “Murderball”, a documentary about paraplegics who play rugby in the paraolympics, and was reminded again, that it’s just all so, so relative.

9 Comments:

At January 30, 2006 2:06 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Hey Cari,
Today I came up with Ben's Theory Of Stress Transfer. It is steeped in mathematics and science, and, well, my own made-up rules about the world. The Theory states that there is a finite amount of stress associated with any event in life, and that the more people you have pulling for you, the more of the stress they offload from you. So if stress is the constant C, and f(x)=C/x, then the limit as x-->infinity is 0. Since there is always at least one person handling the stress of a situation, x cannot go below 1. So the limit as x-->1+ is C. In other words, a person handling stress alone handles 100% of it.

So here's the deal. You are encountering a major life event. We all have them, some bigger than others. Undoubtedly, when your friend with MS was first diagnosed, it was a world-rocker for her and she drew on the support of those around her for as long as she needed to. The majority of the stress C was handled in the first months or years of her diagnosis. Perhaps her stress constant has a half-life too, and each year that passes there is less and less of the stress remaining, and she needs less and less support in that regard. That's why she doesn't seem to need as much now. Ben says that you have a large constant C, and it happens almost all at once. You get diagnosed, you deal, you go through surgery and chemo and radiation, and then you go back to life. There is no lingering effect. So you have to drive the x number as high as you possibly can to make the load shoulderable for you. Since C is a constant, and x is finite too, you still have to take some load. This is the minimum of the function. Ben wishes from his deepest soul that all the x's out there could take f(x) to zero, and leave you to just show up and drink wine and be happy while the doctors do their thing. This is outside the constraints of the function. But you have many many many x's out there, all trying to shoulder a piece of this load for you, so that your personal C/x will be as small as possible. Maybe tomorrow at 12:30, you can imagine all the happy x's with their little axes all chopping away at a big C on your behalf.

In my next post, I'll try a differential equation based on the xx for female and xy for male, and we'll really get crazy.

I love you and will be next to you tomorrow.

bmc :)

 
At January 30, 2006 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari, I'll be an "x" (Ben's theory is just great) and will be thinking of you throughout the day tomorrow, sending you all healing thoughts, while chopping away at the "C"!

Jewell

 
At January 30, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Hmmmm....as an afterthought.....maybe the Constant Of Stress should be represented by S, since chopping at the C for Cari doesn't feel right. So let's call it
f(x)=S/x instead, ok? I am sure that someday this will be taught in Calculus 1.
bmc :)

 
At January 30, 2006 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari - I've just read your blog and am at a loss for words. I've been at a loss for words since Ben told me the news. You and I have known each other for about 15 years (can you believe it?), but we've known each other through Ben. It has been recently that I feel like we've gotten to know each other on our own level, and that level is our shared motherhood. We had our first babies within months of each other, both been incubators (as we joke) for our husbands - me and "lttle Ben", you and "little Jim". What a wonder to bring those two little ones into the world! And then to follow that up with two more equally amazing wonders - Megan and Liam. This tie we have together in shared motherhood will always be there, and as I read your blog, it was the mother part of you that I could most relate too - mostly because my mind just refuses to relate to any of the rest of it. So, since that (motherhood) is the only part that my mind will allow me to work with, I am going to stick to it! And so as you go into surgery tomorrow and as you face each step of the way, I send you all the strength I can give you and remind you to pull on the strength your babies give you too.

Kathryn

 
At January 31, 2006 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey -- I am thinking about you, Carolyn, and Jim and X and Liam and your incredible support team of x's there with you today.
Mary

 
At January 31, 2006 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, Jim, Xander and Liam - you are in my thoughts all day today. I love you guys!!!
Karlynn

 
At January 31, 2006 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

HAPPY THOUGHTS...HAPPY THOUGHTS...HAPPY THOUGHTS...HAPPY THOUGHTS ALL DAY AND EVERY DAY FOR YOU.

Your friends in Pasadena

 
At February 01, 2006 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey C,
Glad to hear the surgery went well. (Thanks for the update T.) And yes, I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm a lazy government employee, ya know. You remember what that was like, don't ya? ;)

Step one of the road to recovery is finished. Chemo and rad therapy are certainly daunting, but I know you'll be fine. And as your friendly neighborhood DOE employee, I'm here to tell you that radiation is your friend. :)

Sending any good karma I have your way....

Phil

 
At March 07, 2006 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister and friend have been through a lot and you have been supportive. What you are going through is a lot and it is happening to you personally! Be kind to yourself!
Love,
Cynthia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home