Monday, January 23, 2006

A NEW KIND OF SUPERHERO

This morning I had a PET scan... yet another fascinating medical procedure. I went in to the (I'm not joking) double wide trailer where they keep the machine, and the technician gave me an injection of the radioactive sugar material. Then I sat there for 30 minutes to give myself time to glow. After I was sufficiently suffused, they had me lie down on a table that was less wide then I am. The put an elastic around my toes "to keep them from flopping around" and velcroed my arms in place above my head. It actually wasn't that uncomfortable. I spent the next 40 minutes or so lying still (I'm becoming an expert at immobility)while the machine scanned sections of my body. I found out it's actually a CAT/PET scan-- the CAT scan is used to draw a background picture of my organs, and the PET scan is a bunch of dots that measures the relative metabolic rate of the stuff within me. How do they come up with this stuff?
I had been told that I "couldn't cuddle my children" for 24 hours after the test. Jim wanted to know if it would be safe for him to sleep next to me, and I was duly impressed by his sensitivity. In any event, I've decided on an alternate career path as RADIOACTIVE BOOB WOMAN. Out of curiosity, when I went to work, I checked it with our resident radiological expert (an unforeseen advantage of working at an environmental engineering company) to see if he could measure me with a Geiger counter. When I went in there, he was testing out his equipment on an orange fiesta-wear plate (did you know those are coated with uranium?). In any event, I screwed up his test, because when I walked into the room, the measurement went through the roof. It went from something like 10,000 to over 2million counts per minute. We could see with his program what I was emitting based on the frequency peak (not surprisingly it was what they told me they had injected me with, but good to have an impartial verification). The isotope has a 2 hour half life (i.e., half is gone in 2 hours) but when I went back in his office at 3 and he did measure me with a Geiger counter I was still 100 times background level. He said if I was on a jobsite I would be considered a hazard. The only reason that I am so glib about this is because I know that the danger from radiation comes from both dose and duration, and obviously mine was a short-term exposure (and here I thought I would never use the information I had to study for the radiological section on the PE exam)... but needless to say, I took a night off from cuddling the kiddos.

3 Comments:

At January 25, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radioactive Boob Woman would be a sweet superhero. You could steal WonderWoman's invisible jet, and people would think there are meteors flying across the sky ;)

 
At January 25, 2006 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
How crazy for your boob to have a half life! I have read every post and love that you are sharing your inner thoughts and concerns with us. This web site will be a great link to you for us and a way for us to stay connected. Thank you for opening up and sharing this journey with us.

Thinking of you!
Andrea

 
At February 01, 2006 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with the radioactive part. My dad set off the alarm when he went to visit my mom in her lab at the hospital (he was being irradiated for Hodgkins). It made everyone laugh that he set the alarm off. You can either laugh or cry about things. At least laughter is beneficial and healthy. -Joy (Syracuse office)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home