Wednesday, February 08, 2006

SHOCK & AWE

As I wrote earlier, I had less than 10 hours of vacation/sick time accrued due to maternity leave over the summer and Liam being in the hospital around Christmas. Although I was not worried that I would lose my job by taking time off for surgery/treatment, I have to admit that the idea of taking a lot of unpaid leave, although possible, made the prospect of taking the recommended 2 weeks off after surgery and god knows what after treatments start daunting.
In any event, I ultimately decided to take advantage of my company's paid-time-off donation program-- where people can donate their vacation time into my sick-time account. I was quite hesitant to do this because a big part of me felt it was like panhandling. Ultimately, though, I did it, in the spirit of admitting that in this case I do actually need help, and the recognition that I would be more likely to take (likely needed) time off if I had some banked.
In any event, I checked with HR today to see if I had enough time to take off the remainder of the week (turns out those doctors aren't really kidding around with those post-surgery recommendations)...
So far (since Friday) people have donated over 260 hours (6+ weeks) of their time to my account. Note that this is not sick time. They've donated time they could be on vacation so that I can stay home and get better. I am humbled by and in awe of this. I asked the HR rep if I can have a list of names so I can write thank you notes, but she said I can't.
All I can do, I guess, is hope that some of you are reading this... I hope you know what a difference your generosity makes to me, especially today, when I was feeling particularly ineffectual and like the road ahead may be a bit too long for me to handle. I want the sweet neighbor who just dropped off another incredible dinner to understand that us being able to just sit down to dinner without the hassle of preparing anything makes it easier for us to relax and enjoy another (less) hectic evening with the kids. Our friend who took the car today to get the oil changed should know that jim will be that much less stressed knowing that he doesn't have to find nonexistent time to do that particularly nagging chore. I want people who have sent cards to know that they are all stuck up on the wall in the kitchen and they brighten every day. And you should know that when I can't sleep I come downstairs and read your comments and emails. They fortify and encourage me during particularly scary times.
My mother-in-law keeps reminding me that "it takes a village"-- and we are lucky enough to have one to help on days like yesterday, when both kids were sick and needed to stay home from school. Lucky, lucky me. Thanks to the Internet, I've gone global.
Thank you for everything. It makes all the difference.

8 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay - now you don't have to feel guilty about taking care of yourself!! Thanks to all of Carolyn's coworkers - your generosity is truly awesome (6 weeks!!! WOW!!! That gives me renewed hope in humanity!). And Carolyn - I expect a full report on what that dashing Jack Bauer is doing to save the world...
Still sending you positive juju (and lots of love),
Karlynn

 
At February 09, 2006 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like a TLDP reunion here. :P

Let me just say that 24 rules! If you don't have a Tivo already, you need to get one. I'm positive it will make those extra weeks of "vacation" pass by more quickly. Make sure you put 24 on your 'season pass.'

Sorry about the Tivo commercial, but I just got one and it is very cool.

Hang in there. We're all with ya in spirit.

phil

 
At February 09, 2006 9:53 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

I'm always moved by the greatness that lurks in us all and mainfests itself in times when it's needed most. You are truly blessed to be surrounded by such an amazing group of people; and I am so glad you're able to accept what they have to give. I wish for you all the strength that is coming your way, and that it carries you.

On a lighter note, I received a great blond joke over the weekend, and since my two all-time favorite blond joke recipients (Meghan and Lisa, woof!) will probably read this, here goes:

A blind man makes his way to a bar stool and orders a drink.
After sitting there for awhile, he yells to the bartender, "Hey, you
wanna hear a blond joke? The bar immediately falls absolutely silent.

In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says, "Before you
tell that joke, sir, I think it is only fair, given that you are blind,
you should know five things:

1. The bartender is a blond girl with a baseball bat.

2. The bouncer is a blond "biker girl."

3. I'm a 6 foot tall, 175 pound blond woman with a black belt in
karate.

4. The woman sitting next to me is a blond and a professional
weightlifter.

5. The lady to your right is blond and a professional wrestler.

Now, think about it seriously, Mister. Do you still want to tell
that joke?

The blind man thinks for a second, shakes his head and mutters;

"Nah... not if I'm gonna have to explain it five times."

bmc :)

 
At February 10, 2006 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dear co-worker - wish we could do more... who knew that they would limit the amount of time each of us could give. So glad you are allowing yourself to accept this little bit of assistance from distant co-workers - it's the least we can do, considering how much you give to us in return!!!

 
At February 10, 2006 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari, That is just so fabulous about your co-workers' time donation....you have a village of supporters! You're doing so great and your attitude is amazing! Keep on keeping on!! Jewell

 
At March 07, 2006 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari
You and Jim both are very well deserving of the generosity you have recieved. Support is a good thing..I could get all theory on you but my brain is fried from and being in finals... : )
Cynthia

 
At March 07, 2006 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari
You and Jim both are very well deserving of the generosity you have recieved. Support is a good thing..I could get all theory on you but my brain is fried from and being in finals... : )
Cynthia

 
At March 07, 2006 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari
You and Jim both are very well deserving of the generosity you have recieved. Support is a good thing..I could get all theory on you but my brain is fried from and being in finals... : )
Cynthia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home