Tuesday, February 07, 2006

BACK FROM EXILE

I'm back from my self-imposed exile to the mountains. No email, no web access-- I kinda felt like I was letting everyone down by being out of touch for so long, but nothing to be done. I was only going to stay until Sunday, but after Jim came up with the boys on Sat and I had my first quality time with them since the surgery I realized I was better off away from them. I can't take care of my kids and it sucks. Picture, if you will, baby boy on the floor crying for his mommy hands outstretched reaching for her to pick him up and she can't do it. Next scene: rambunctious almost-3 year old preparing to jump from the couch into mom's lap, dad zooms in, warning in a I'm-not-messing-around voice "don't touch her!" (exit sad almost-3-year old, stage left). I feel like it's worse when I'm around because Jim (who has more superpowers than Radioactive Boob Woman and Superman put together) is trying to take care of them and make sure I don't do something stupid and hurt myself, which is a valid fear.
Speaking of doing stupid things, that label that says "Do Not Drink Alcoholic Beverages" on the drug container is NOT KIDDING. Yesterday morning was the last time I needed Vicoden. 8+ hours later we went out to dinner. I had a margarhita with (a big) dinner, thinking "what the heck, done breastfeeding and off the meds..." After dinner my friends were looking around a store when I felt really miserable and my vision started to tunnel. "Something's wrong." I told them, right before I almost passed out and they carry/led me out into the fresh air ("don't grab her left side" always-thinking pam says). Quick recovery, thank goodness, but apparently my party-hearty days are still off in the horizon.
In better news, I have discovered Sudoku-- a fun/addictive logic puzzle-- I'm really optimistic I will be better at it once I'm less fuzzy-brained.
Told you I am an optimist.

7 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to have you "back from exile" even though I thought you were safer in the mountains...until I read about your drinking episode.

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for you not to be able to hold and frolic with Alexander and Liam...but it won't be too much longer, provided that you take care of yourself :). (Alexander's sad face must have been a classic!)

And, yes, Jim is definitely SUPERMAN!

 
At February 08, 2006 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered that you might do better at Sudoku the more fuzzy-brained you are? ;)

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to forward your blog link to a few of the old TLDPers that KC may have missed. I'm sure they will be interested in your following your journey.

Phil

PS-Might be coming to Denver in May or June.

 
At February 08, 2006 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh - Sudoku... I have a great book and will give you *some* of the pages when I see you this weekend. I hope you are enjoying the 24 and the puzzles.

I am thinking of you.
Christine

 
At February 08, 2006 2:34 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Returned from exile myself on Tuesday. Went to Forks, WA for a fishing "vacation"--well, after we started with the worst wind storm in years, we proceeded to watch the not-so-Super Bowl, replete with Mick and the boys on the Steel Wheelchair tour. Awoke that night with fever/chills/sweats that have persisted ever since. So home again two days later, and MAN do I feel rested! So glad to have a vacation...

Anyway, I'll offer you moral support at least for the next few days since I'm streng verboten to come near my kids either. (Purell, Purell, rubrubrub, tickle kid, squeal, coughcough, start all over). Ah well...

Welcome back.
bmc :)

 
At February 08, 2006 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Ashley again, just checking in and seeing how you are. Good to hear you are back and having some normalcy back in your life. I know it is hard not to be "Supermom" for once,but "Superdad sounds like he is filling the postition well.
I found out the hard way also about drinking on meds. Not such a hot idea. You will have plenty of time to be the party girl.
I'll be keeping in touch to see how you are. Keep up the optomism.
Take care-Ashley

 
At February 13, 2006 1:01 PM, Blogger Pam said...

I would comment on the drinking thing, but I can't quite find the words. My heart beats fast just thinking about it.

 
At March 07, 2006 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
I can't imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to take care of your kids they way you are use to. Remember they love you and THEY know you love them even if to take care of yourself (which is VERY IMPORTANT) you don't get to spend much time with them.
Again, Be Kind to YOURSELF!
cynthia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home