Monday, February 13, 2006

THE ROAD AHEAD

Today was my first day back to work in almost 2 weeks. I was psyched to go.
I have considered the strangeness of having colleagues with whom I do try to maintain a level of professionalism reading my innermost thoughts and fears. How weird to have people that I work with (some of whom I've never met in person, since most of the people with whom I work are not local) KNOW me in such a way, especially when I don't know much about them. But what the heck (note that I'm not swearing today, so I must be in a better mood)... It seems to be working for me to go with the "maximize positive vibes through openness" policy, so I'm going to go with it. Besides, I've received more than a few supportive and bolstering emails from people that I never would've presumed to bug with all this information. My approach was confirmed today when I went back to the office... so many heartfelt "glad to have you back"s that made me even happier to be back-- and how nice to know that I didn't have to explain everything multiple times. That anyone who wants to, already KNOWS-- so we can just move on to the fun stuff, like talking about our family trip to Mexico next week, or all the crazy trouble their kids got into over the weekend.
So, in the spirit of keeping all interested in the loop, here's my schedule for the next few weeks (complete with subtitles):

Tues 2/14: Follow-up appointment with surgeon (e.g., Why is my arm still hurting, & Please give me the ok to pick up my kid)
Thurs 2/16: 2nd opinion ocologist appointment (e.g., Lets talk options, NOT statistics)
Fri 2/17: Slew of all day pre-chemo tests/exams (e.g., Radioactive Boob Woman power booster, & Tested as a Lab Rat)
Fri-Sun: up to the mountains (e.g., Just call me Bode... just kidding dad)
Mon 2/20: 1st opinion oncologist follow-up (e.g., Let's get this show on the road) after which (I think?) I will have a much better idea of schedule/duration & which drug trial I'll actually be in (if any).
Thurs 2/23(Jim's bday)- Mon 2/27: Puerto Vallarta Mexico with jim, x, liam, mom, dad, t, lisa & jarod (e.g., X sees a Whale in Person)

Hair update: The other day I had the bright (if delayed) idea that I should shave off all of my hair and donate it to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization who provides hair pieces to kids suffering from medical hair loss. When I asked a friend about this idea, she asked me (I'm not making this up):
"Is your hair virgin?" To which I replied, baffled, "Well, I have 2 kids."
Turns out that won't exempt me, as she meant no dye or highlights. (Yes, apparently, I do have "virgin hair" unlike almost of all my (women) friends.) Who knew that my lack-of-style would actually turn out to be a good thing? The program requires 10" minimum-- which I thought wouldn't work, but turns out, when you start from the top (or bottom?) my hair ranges from about 10 to 17 inches. The things you learn. Anyway, the idea makes me happy.

In other amusing news, the other day Alexander tripped and hit his eye on a log. (stay with me for the amusing part) He got a really impressive scraped up black eye ("He looks like he's been in a fight" says my dad) that has been bugging him for the past few days. Yesterday when I told him to stop picking/rubbing at it he asked me "Mommy, can I go to the doctor and get it out?"
Oh, if only it were that easy :)

5 Comments:

At February 13, 2006 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to hear your hair is virgin, i.e. donatable to Locks of Love! About a year ago when one of my aunts was diagnosed with breast cancer, my sister and I started growing out our hair to donate to Locks of Love - unfortunately, my hair doesn't grow that fast, and it might have too much gray before I reach the required 10 inches - go figure. I've got to say though, that I'm very happy for my aunt that she's gone through her entire treatment and grown back a full head of hair from scratch faster than I could grow my own...

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts!
Sophie

 
At February 13, 2006 6:25 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

10" huh? Hmmm...I was thinking that maybe I could give some old geezer a crewcut with my remaining hair...but alas...

Glad to read you are smiling again, and making the rest of us laugh. Don't know how you do it. You didn't stash extra vicodin, did you?

Anyway, I know you're looking forward to the trip--Norm is on Baja right now too, riding. I would definitely trade some Seattle rain for some Baja sun right about now!! :)

Maybe X and Ronan can trade "swan dive into fixed objects" stories sometime soon...

best,
bmc :)

 
At February 14, 2006 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is family-friendly, so I won't comment on the virgin part ;)

If only it were that easy.. to get any "owie" removed and be done with it. I know you don't like to wait around for anything, and wish we could magically speed up this process. Physical pain is frustrating.. I think right after surgery, the drug-induced state makes it feel like the recovery process isn't so bad. Then your body is like, wait a minute, I was just cut into and invaded.. you have to get some payback! ;)

Looking forward to Mexico and sliding down the Alligator's mouth!

 
At February 14, 2006 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

Who knew that even one's hair was under such scrutiny? I don't think anyone would want mine without color (unless they really like the "salt and pepper" look). Glad to hear you are back helping the Parsons ESOP grow...

I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day and wear a candy necklace all day and eat candy that you can read "call me", "kiss me", "be mine", "miss you" etc...I have a box on my desk and am literally reading the little sugar pills as I type this. I was hoping there was one in the box that says "Ed McMahon is waiting outside with a check for $10M - you are already a winner"...I better search the box again.

Your friends in Pasadena.

 
At February 15, 2006 8:09 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

Finally catching up on some blog reading after a weekend away. Carolyn, you are truly amazing.

A belated Happy Valetines Day.

Thinking of you often from Peru,
K,P,&A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home