Wednesday, March 01, 2006

OF OKC, PREGNANCY PARALLELS & IRONY

Friends in low places
I just returned from a quick business trip to Oklahoma City. I've traveled there something like 15 or 20 times during the past few years, so it's sort of like walking into the bar at Cheers (e.g., on my last trip there, I brought Liam, and Gail, the secretary, watched him during my meetings-- how's that for a family friendly office?). In any event, it was great to be face-to-face with people I talk with on the phone almost every day, and to bask in the well wishes of a lot of those (I'm guessing) anonymous time-off donors. I was greeted at the door with a bear hug from the indescribable office manager (larger than life doesn't do him justice) who whisked me into his office and gave me a really wonderful mix cd he'd created for me, and an "Oklahoma T-shirt" which reads: "Ted Kennedy's Car Has Killed More People Than Have Been Killed at GITMO." (He thinks I'm too liberal). I was very touched. (I guess sometimes treasures come in unexpected ways and forms.)

What do you mean it's March?
I feel like I'm running out of time. When am I going to go to the dentist? get new contacts? get my hair cut (off)? pick up my prescriptions? finish my projects at work? be able to travel? I know my life isn't going to come to a screeching halt on Monday, but I know it will change, at least for a bit, and although mentally I think I'm doing pretty well, I'm feeling a bit logistically challenged (especially since we're going to the mountains this weekend). But if there's one thing I learned from maternity leave (alexander's coming 3 weeks early) it's that everything will wait, no worries-- (except for getting the prescriptions part, that I need to find time for). There are a surprising number of parallels I can draw between having chemo and being pregnant/having a baby (but at least I know the due date on this one). Lots of doctor visits... lots of positive attention... believing whole-heartedly in positive attitude & medicine (likely in large and equal doses) getting me through discomfort... I still remember being very physically uncomfortable & extremely tired while I was pregnant, (for a similar amount of time as a the chemo, I think) so hopefully that was good training... and ultimately that it's all so very very worth it. (And at least this go round I'll be able to fit into cars.)

Isn't it ironic, doncha think?
One of the chemo side-effects that I was dreading above most others was the possibility of getting mouth sores, because every so often I'll get a cold sore and I hate them. Today, for the first time in over a year, I got a cold sore-- likely because I got sunburned in Mexico. Go figure.

6 Comments:

At March 02, 2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You will have time for everything during and after chemo. I know we all respond differently, but I was able to work and carry on my hectic schedule just at a slightly slower pace. In fact, I didn't feel the side-effects come into play until about 1.5-2 days after the treatment. I would have chemo in the morning, go out to lunch with my sister and relax the rest of the day or go to the movies. As time went on, of course the fatigue plays a factor, but I always wanted to feel like I was living life no matter what I was facing. I never wanted to give cancer any more control in my life that it had already stolen.

You have a great attitude and will face this with the same focus and strength as you face every other challenge in your life. I'll be thinking of you!

 
At March 02, 2006 10:55 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

When I was younger, I went to the Indy 500 every year. We stayed with a relative in Kentucky or Ohio, and then drove to the race on Sunday. One year, my cousin Clay was there with a husky (he was working with Susan Butcher's team at the time) and I said something about how much I wanted to get a dog (I was 18 or 19, I think), but that I couldn't for several reasons (apartment, etc.). I'll never forget him saying, "Ben, necessity always dictates. Get a dog and you'll have to find accommodations for a dog."

I'm not sure who said it, but there's also an idea floating around out there that goes something like, "If you can't climb over the wall, toss your cap over. Then you have no choice but to get over."

I know that all the details will come together because they have to--they are just noise in the background. Though sometimes, they are comforting for me; just the routine of every day life and normalcy. I guess it all continues on for you, but with an added challenge. Maybe the routine will be a blessing for you too.

For your mouth sores (and anyone else's who might read this)...I don't know whether you mean the kind inside your mouth or outside, but I used to get horrible outbreaks of the ones inside the mouth. I had a dentist once recommend that I switch to Tom's of Maine toothpaste, because anecdotally, she had found that it didn't irritate the sores and cause more like "normal" toothpastes do. I used to get mouthfuls of them, i.e. 8 or 10 at once. I haven't had that happen since I switched--I'll still get 2 or 3, but no more of the big outbreaks that made me want to stop eating for a week. Just a thought.

Anyway, we're all still out here pulling for you, and that won't ever stop. Keep thinking X.

love,
bmc :)

 
At March 02, 2006 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

It's great to see you blogging again. You are the master of organization and I know that you will be able to get everything done. Given your new wardrobe compliments of the Tinker crew, you have at least an extra day of reprieve from having to do laundry. I would like to see a photo of you actually wearing the t-shirt (just for grins).

As for mouth sores, I would be remiss not to chime in and offer that eating yogurt helps -whatever the bacteria in yogurt is (begins with an "A" and sounds like "addisofolus") helps. Also, if they don't go away, I find that a pint of Ben & Jerrys can fix just about anything. Note: neither remedy is a topical application so you must ingest.

Have a good day.

RBW Fan Club President

 
At March 02, 2006 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carolyn -

It's amazing, but I often find myself thinking the same thing. When will this long list of stuff get done?

The analogy that helps me when I feel overwhelmed is thinking of falling in the water when you are whitewater rafting. You can kick and scream and try to fight the water and worry about whether you will every get saved...or you can point your feet downstream and just let the water carry you as you calmly try to make it towards a boat or an eddy at the side. I think this is the idea behind a lot of martial arts - the goal is to take the energy of your opponent and use it on them (by deflecting it), rather than using lots of your own energy. I guess what I am trying to say is you can let your list rule you, or you can just try to do your best and take it as it comes. Granted, I don't have 2 kids, all the doctors appointments, etc. so my list seems VERY easy in comparison.

And keep in mind those of us in Denver without kids can run errands for you - in fact we want to! I am very good at driving around and picking stuff up and I'm even in town this weekend! All you have to do is ask and give me addresses, since I don't know where your optomologist is.

Sending you love and lots of calming thoughts,
Karlynn

 
At March 02, 2006 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - and I had cold sores on the outside of my mouth and tried Abrevva. You will be shocked at the price for the amount (like $20 for 0.00001 oz.), but I put it on the last two times I had cold sores and I have been cold sore free for a few years!

Karlynn

 
At March 06, 2006 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari-
I am friends with Lisa and Jared and I briefly met you and your beautiful family at their wedding celebration in Denver last fall. You are in my thoughts and I will send you all the positive energy I can on this very difficult and scary day for you. I hope the sun is shining for you. Sincerely, Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home