Wednesday, February 22, 2006

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

We leave for the much anticipated trip to Mexico tomorrow morning... sun, beach, whale watching (alexander is obsessed with sea mammals) and fun with the whole family (thank god the rest of them are coming otherwise we'd never be able to deal with all the "kid crap" between just the two of us). This trip is even more amazing to me because I booked the tickets less than an hour before I found out my diagnosis. I doubt we would have tried to schedule something after finding out, but it turned out to be perfect timing. Yeah for small (and large) blessings.
Speaking of which, I have (count 'em) NO doctor's appointments scheduled for next week (first time since early January). I met with the oncologist of choice today, and WE HAVE A PLAN:
I will start "dose dense" chemo March 6th... it will continue for 8 rounds every 2 weeks, so there will be plenty of opportunity to sign up to be my "chemo buddy" and accompany me to treatment. (The chairs are really nice and they have good snacks...).
I will get a port (likely in above my collar bone) the day I start chemo so I don't wreck my veins from too many injections (thereby preserving them for my recreational IV drug habit). Today I got prescriptions for 4 different kinds of anti-nausea medicines and a wig (it's considered a "prosthesis").
Bring it on. (but first, vacation...)

Mom update: For those of you who have been asking, no my mom has not gone back to the autobody shop, and no she's not in jail (yet)-- maybe they'll extradite her?

7 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 10:56 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Safe travels, my friends...let energy gather on you in this calm time. Talk to you when you get back...have a marge-delete-a for me.
bmc :)
p.s. Go Linda!!

 
At February 23, 2006 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

I'm not certain why whales and peas both travel in pods but enjoy them.... Glad to hear your mom is not calling you from a pay phone at an undisclosed location.

Take care,
Linda
President and Founder of the Pasadena Branch of the RBW (Radioactive Bood Woman) Fan Club

 
At February 23, 2006 2:50 PM, Blogger rudolphsonice said...

Disfruten Mexico! We can't wait to hear Xander tell about the whale that he saw...or didn't see.

Mike and Andrea

 
At February 23, 2006 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure! Run off on VACATION while the rest of us sit here waiting impatiently for your next blog. Some people are so selfish. Geez.
:)
It is sooooooo very heart warming to think of you all enjoying yourselves on a beautiful carefree beach far from all the ick! AHHHHH soak up the sun! Will look forward to hearing from you soon... but not too soon!
Big hugs,
MegO

 
At February 23, 2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me and baby Bingo in as your chemo buddies... we will be around!

Have a great time in Mexico. I will be thinking of the sun and fun...

Christine

 
At February 25, 2006 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels, and enjoy the serenity (or is it insanity?!) of family vacation on the beach! :)
Sophie

 
At February 27, 2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having blog withdrawal - I'm thinking either I need to go to blogger self-help group or perhaps you could start blogging again soon with all your wonderful vacation adventures. Well, I better get back to this proposal before someone notices I'm not actually working. Looking foward to catching up with you soon.

President, RBW Fan Club

 

Post a Comment

<< Home