Friday, March 03, 2006

HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW

As expected, things are falling into place. Work is caught up, prescriptions are ordered (let's hear it for good health insurance-- $16 copay for a $316 (3 pill) prescription-- and that's just one prescription for one chemo round... mind boggling) I have a dentist appointment at 10 and at 11:30 I'm going to get my hair cut off. This go round, I'm just going to get it cut really short (at least 10 inches cut off, so I can donate it) and I will shave it off in a few weeks. Should be an adventure. The last time I had short hair I was 14 and I decided to grow it out because people couldn't tell I was a girl (I had a long & ugly awkward phase from about 4 to 15). Should be interesting.
A friend of mine, who is pretty much bald, told me it's no big deal-- he oughtta know. Fair enough, I guess-- for him... but it's hard to explain what HAIR means unless you've had A LOT of it for a LONG time. You have a lot of things that accompany it (jim is forever complaining about the barrettes, rubberbands, headbands etc. everywhere... although I never can seem to find one!) Even someone as low maintenance as I am spends a lot of time dealing with it. You can use it to predict the weather (curly = rain on the way). It gets everywhere (e.g., when jim and I went on our trip around the world, and stayed on for the second 6 months without me, he was still finding my hair in/on all his stuff even after we'd been on different continents for months). Alexander and I use it as our secret tunnel and it's a neverending peek-a-boo source of amusement for Liam (at least what he hasn't yanked out yet). You don't often need a hat. You can use it to hide behind. When I was in the navy I had to wear my hair pulled back and up off my collar-- once when I was on leave off the ship, they didn't want to let me back on because they didn't even recognize me with my hair down. Wasn't there even a musical about hair in the 70's?


Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...
Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it,
show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

(Gotta love the Internet) ...before you start commenting (ben) I do NOT have fleas in my hair... and my favorite verse:

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short!
Lisa and I are going wig shopping after I get it cut. I'm looking forward to it. A chance to reinvent myself. How many times in life do you give yourself the license to do that?
And better yet, it's on my terms. Best yet, some little kid somewhere will be able to play peek-a-boo with my hair too.

12 Comments:

At March 03, 2006 10:33 AM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

OK, I don't even have to look on the Internet!

"Gimme a head with hair,
Long beautiful hair,
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair!
Shoulder length or longer!
Here baby, there mama,
Everywhere daddy daddy,
HAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIRRRR!!!

"My hair like Jesus wore it,
Hallelujah I adore it!
Hallelujah Mary loved her son,
Why don't my mother love me?
HAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIR!!!!!!"

OK, back from my little retrospective.
I wouldn't have said you have fleas, necessarily, but I was always partial to the skunk do. Have you considered the Rodman look for the next week or two?

On the bright side, you get to scare the hell out of every new person you meet for a while, because they won't be sure if you're Sinead or a chemo patient or what...I suggest polishing up your Irish accent a bit. :)

talk soon,
bmc :)

 
At March 03, 2006 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me - I found your blog via another cancer survivor blog and have read your story.

Although I do not have breast cancer (mine is lung cancer) and my son is older (he's 10), I also experienced many "WHAAAAA!!!" moments and nights without sleep, wondering and worrying about how I am going to deal with the "new normal" that cancer has presented in our lives. I will have my 3rd round of chemo next week and it's been challenging, but not brutally difficult. You seem to have a great support network and an awesome attitude and that's so very, very important.

Know that there are folks out here in the cyberworld cheering you on and sending tons of positive energy your way. We are not "strangers"; just friends you haven't met in person yet.

 
At March 03, 2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doh.. Blogger won't let me post a picture in here. I have proof of your years with short hair, and the extended awkward phase. Oh well, click on this link!

Cari was an even bigger dork back in the day

:)

Great title, btw. I know you wanted props for that.

-T

 
At March 03, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

Wowwwwwww T,
Now THAT picture just takes the cake. And I thought MY family's 70's photos were bad! :) :) :)

I guess Lisa was loved the most, since she got to keep her luxurious flowing blonde hair. :)

Definitely has me smiling...
bmc :)

 
At March 03, 2006 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Carolyn. Many will be rooting for you.

 
At March 03, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger rudolphsonice said...

There are four of us in New Zealand who are thinking of you guys up in Colorado. We just finished a great hike and are enjoying bunking with the parentals.

A few other side benefits of your new hair-do:

- At least you won't have to shave your back anymore.

- You will have more free time to rub Jim's back since you won't be curling, drying, and styling your hair.

- No more bad hair days

We are thinking of you and will be sending great hugs and thoughts your way. Can't wait to see you.

Love,

Mike and Andrea

PS - How awesome that Xander saw whales!!!!!

-

 
At March 03, 2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Pam said...

You Go Girl. Great family pic by the way. I'll be anxiously awaiting a picture!

I'm thinking of you. And sending you strength vibes.

 
At March 04, 2006 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, just got into your site and want you to know you are in my thoughts. My Sis Mary Ann has had breast cancer twice and thankfully doing great and that's my wish for you dear. When reading your journals see that you are going to be doing chemo then radiation. Want to pass this on, hopefully it will help. Read years ago an article on radiation and its effects and the article said that as soon as you know you may have to have radiation to take ginger, like up to a tablespoon each day, can put in cereal, water, tea (can buy ginger tea bags) gingersnap cookies - that ginger taken as early before needing radiation can help reduce the burning sensation associated with radiation for folks. Just want to pass this on, have a friend going thru cancer treatments and she mentioned this to her doctor, he hadn't heard about it, but, you have nothing to lose in trying it since ginger is a natural substance/spice. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers dear....AJ

 
At March 05, 2006 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be sending great thoughts your way all day Monday... and funny ones too, if you think that'll help... :)

Speaking of the 70's here's dorky for you - my Mom, who is French (still SO french), to this day says to us kids, when things in life are challenging us, "May ze Force be wiss yooou" in her just-off-the-boat English. Of course we mock her, but it's strangely comforting to hear - even though the only Star Wars I've ever seen is the very first one that ever came out - and I saw it when it came out in the theatres...

So signing off, I now say to you, May the Force be with YOU!!! :)

Sophie

 
At March 05, 2006 3:55 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

Found your blog at Two Hands. I have just come out the other side of breast cancer treatment. I was diagnosed Feb/05 at the age of 35. Did chemo, radiation and just had a bilateral mastectomy Jan 23. Doing the reconstruction part now. While I did not do the same chemo as you are going to have I found it to be not nearly as horrible as I imagined and actually quite do-able. It sounds like you have a great support network and a fabulous attitude. That helps a lot. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow with your first chemo which is always the most nerve wracking. They get easier and easier as you go along. The port will help a lot too. Take care!

 
At March 05, 2006 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ceautiful,


I have decided that hair is highly overrated and just think how much more efficient you may be without it. You will save time by not having to wash, comb and style it. When it starts growing back out, you and Whamarama might have the same spikey hair do. I will fix it for you if you want.

All kidding aside, you know I am with you tomorrow in spirit rooting you on and giving Whammikins an extra hug or two.

 
At March 05, 2006 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ceautiful,

I have decided that hair is highly overrated. You being a master of efficiency will find that you will save vast amounts of time by not having to wash, comb and style it. An added benefit is that when it starts growing out again maybe you and Whamarama might have the same spike in your hair. I can spike it for you if you want.

All kidding asied, you know I am with you in spirit and positive mind set tomorrow rooting you on and giving Whammikins an extra hug or two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home