Thursday, August 24, 2006

GLORY DAYS

I've been told that there comes a day after a major surgery that you wake up and feel 100% (ok, 80%) better. My turn-around-day was last Friday. Thurs I was fairly miserable. Friday I was me again. It was nothing less than glorious. Don't get me wrong, I still get tired & sore quickly and at the end of the day I move like a 90 year old, and I definitely need a few more weeks off work to make sure I get all these photo albums finally done, but the bruises are definitely fading to yellow-- I can even drive now. So I am giving myself this quasi-well but still off work time as an (almost) guilt-free gift to myself (happyhappydays). I still can't pick up anything (i.e., Liam). which sucks (especially for jim, who has to do all of the 5:30am wake up duties) but he (liam, not jim) is toddling around like a champ these days. He's so proud of himself (liam, not jim).
So, I've been thinking (now that I'm off the drugs, it's a bit easier) when do/did I become a breast cancer survivor? Now that I feel better? (I often think about the fact that the it was the treatment and not the disease that made me feel bad... but that's good, right?) I've still got a few more (small) surgeries to go-- do I wait until after that? I heard that at the Race for the Cure "Survivors" get a special tent and wear a nametag with a number. 2 years... 5 years... 50 years (ohbuti'dliketobethatperson) What's the starting point? When I was diagnosed? (can you believe it's been almost 8 months??!!) The doctors say the tumor was there for years before I found it. (freaks me out, I look at photos of things past and think: "it was there then, and I had no idea" (...whenmyguyswereborn, onmyweddingday, atmygraduation...) It's sort of like when you dated for a long time before you got married and people ask you how long you've been together-- "um, we've been married for 5 years, but we lived together for 2 years before that and dated for 3 before that... what's that add up to?" I've never liked that word-- survivor. I don't know if it's because I don't like considering the alternative, I don't want to be associated with the "stigma", or (maybejustmaybe) because it means I'm done fighting and have to get on with the rest of my life.
Speaking of which, (finally) happy things on the horizon (save the dates):
  • Join team TigerOx during the Denver Race for the Cure on Sunday October 8th at the Pepsi Center. You can do the Women's 5K Walk/Run (7:15am) the Co-ed 5k walk/run (8:30am), the Family Fun Walk (9am-less than a mile), or the Sleep in for the Cure. If I get really inspired (I'm off work, afterall) I'll make up t-shirts.
  • Come to our Thank the Village Party Saturday October 14th from 3-7 in genesee. It's about time I fed you guys for a change. more info to come on both events but if you're interested in either, let me know.

And finally, some amusing boob anecdotes (TMI alert):

  • I don't have feeling in my boobs anymore, and they're a little bigger than they used to be (thank you, extra brownies). In any event, I don't really know my own "boob strength", as it were (potentially a new superpower?) I will knock things off tables, etc. without knowing what I've done until something crashes to the floor. I've heard people say that this whole ordeal has just been an excuse so that people won't hug me, but take this as a friendly warning.
  • We were discussing the new airline restrictions the other day and someone said that they have banned gel-filled bras. Does this mean that I wouldn't have been able to get on a plane if I had gone the saline-implant route? (can you imagine?!) Chalk another one up for the belly boob.

12 Comments:

At August 24, 2006 5:24 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

I was thinking earlier today that perhaps you need to be re-dubbed BBW, instead of RBW...so I think this entry may confirm it. I was also wondering when you in fact get blessed as a "survivor" instead of a "patient". I suppose the semantics don't really matter all that much, but it is interesting to wonder--and knowing how goal-oriented you are, I guess you would like to have a cut-and-dried date, yes? :) :)

Perhaps we (in the village) could have a certificate drawn up, "For outstanding nausea, extraordinary drug-brain, and numb boobs, this certificate is presented to Carolyn Nobel for excellence in the fight against breast cancer." Or something equally silly. :)

Count me as tentative for both events, but more likely for the party (hmmm...exercise or beer...guess it will have to be beer).

Sososososososososoglad to hear that you're way on the upswing now. Nothing but minor stuff ahead. Everything's coming up roses (or so they tell me). :)

Non-hug gestures of affection for you and the boys.

bmc :)

 
At August 24, 2006 6:36 PM, Blogger abigail said...

o christ. I will have saline implants. Are my flying days over? Do I need to register my boobs as lethal weapons? I can tell u right now that expanders are definitely lethal weapons. I don't really like hugs either, but was forced into it the other day. The initiator of the hug immediately complained bitterly about my iron chest expanders bruising her fair and realwoman flesh. O, bother....

At any rate, I hate the term survivor too. I'm not sure why, it seems too melodramatic or something. For us surgical grrrls, I like "bladerunner" better. but that's just me.
I'm running in the NY race for the cure btw. I plan to run it, I mean I can run a 5k, but I'm damned slow and tired doing it, so we'll see. I'll walk when I need to. You were right about taxol incidently, I CAN EAT! but i'm still tired.

I'm so glad u updated ur blog. I was getting frustrated, and we know that it's all about me...
just joking. I'm glad you're doing better! Enjoy the time off before the world starts treating you like a normal person again...

 
At August 25, 2006 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just laughed very loudly at the thought of your face full of amazement as your new found superpower took on a life of its own! Thanks for the great start to my Friday - so glad to have you back!
b

 
At August 25, 2006 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn!

How fantastic that you keep getting more and more wonderful (no surprise there). New superpowers, regaining strength and stamina and busy pondering life's questions about when the survivor clock starts. I am so happy that you are beyond interviewing icky doctors, have worked out a lot of the toxins from the chemo (or do they hang out for a while?), and have no major choices ahead exept where you want to buy a house.

And that is a Very Good Thing (as Pooh would say).

Count us in for the co-ed walk and the Village celebration.

Oh Happy Happy Day (snoopy dance!)
Kar & J

 
At August 25, 2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are very few things for which I would miss a big Gator game.. but celebrating my sister's health and superpower boobs is definitely one of them! Did I mention what a great invention DVR is?? ;)

I'm so happy for you.. and so excited that I get to spend time with you in the upswing of your awesomeness.

love,
T

 
At August 26, 2006 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glory Days indeed! Our champion is feeling better and has bigger boobs, a walking toddler, a future jog around Denver, and a party in the park. It really doesn't get much better for the Village! I must admit, I would like to meet the other Villagers and wear a TigerOx t-shirt to celebrate the day (and your journey). Last night, we were eating dinner and just had ourselves in stiches about the fact that Pluto is no longer a planet. "Back in the day when I was a kid, we had 9 planets...." - yep, that's what I'd tell my kids if I had any. We joked about creating t-shirts with the slogan "Keep Pluto. Wipe Uranus." And the conversation just digressed from there....if I do make up some Pluto t-shirts, I will be certain to bring one for you.

We will officially change the name of the fan club per Ben's suggestion. I'll have to get busy with new business cards, update the stationery for the fan club newsletter, etc...but you are worth it!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

BBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At August 26, 2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Carolyn -

I'm so glad you feeling so strong and doing so well. Hooray for you and the village! I found myself asking the same questions about when the survivor tag becomes official and a very brave woman, survivor twice over, said to me, you become a survivor from the moment you are told you have cancer and you decide to fight. According to that, you've been a survivor for awhile now.

Have a great celebration -- you deserve the biggest ever!

Jeannette

 
At August 27, 2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
I can't help myself from questioning the lengths you'll go to in order to compensate for boob shrinkage during nursing. Geezo, I simply bought a padded bra, for crying out loud :)
It is so very very very nice to think of you feeling better and better each day. and then to imagine you knocking things off tables with your new boobs... 'very impressive.'
Sending you continued warm fuzzies, big gentle hugs and wet kisses. Miss you tons.
megO
ps. I think you and Jim should start counting from your high school years...

 
At August 29, 2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Jim (not Liam) can be very proud of himself too! And proud of you! And you (not Jim or Liam) should be VERY proud of yourself! oh what the heck, Alexander should be very proud of all of you and himself as well! ;) it's been an amazing and inspirational journey to "hear" your moods and track your progress through your written words.
xoxo
sophie

 
At August 30, 2006 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari,

I agree with the limitations on the term "cancer survivor." I would propose "grateful thriver" in its place. Two reasons:

1. Gratitude and service to others are two big yardsticks measuring human growth. Grateful thriver includes both (i.e. to thrive is to grow in service to the Whole);

2. Grateful also means "full of greatness" AND YOU ARE!

Love,
Uncle B

 
At September 01, 2006 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to hear you so full of life! Wish we could be in Denver for the Race for the Cure with you! Glad you are able to drive (I can't -- just injured my knee skiing in Chile).

Much love!
Katherine

 
At September 02, 2006 7:14 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Hi Cari,
It is great to hear you're mending. Nice that you have photo albums to work on during this transition time back to feeling like you.

I've not been writing lately, but I'm still thinking of you...and sending you positive vibes.

Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend with your fam.

Take Care & Talk to you soon!!
Pam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home