Thursday, November 09, 2006

YOU'RE WELCOME FOR THE CANCER

“You’re welcome for the cancer,” sweet & sincere 4-year-old Riley told me as he left the Village Party last month… and as I composed this, my last TigerOx blog, it seemed like an apropos title. Although I’m hardly thankful for the events of the past year (I’m still somewhere in between the “pink ribbon” and the “cancer sucks” club) I recognize that I do have an incredible amount to be grateful for. I can be grateful for the fact that I found the lump and followed up on it (which, as a dr-phobe, was completely outside my character) and that my OBGYN sent me straight to get an ultrasound. “1 in 100 chance,” she said, “but it’s good to be sure.” (At first I thought this was her just doing her job, but the more and more stories I hear about doctors & nurses dismissing the concerns of women (“you’re too young…”) I realize I was in the lucky minority.) I can look back with gratitude on the fact we have great health insurance-- second opinions, tests & drugs extraordinaire for (granted A LOT of) $25 co-pays, or that I had wonderful doctors and state of the art treatment, none of which was fun (ok, some of those chemo sessions had some moments, especially when marshmallow guns were involved) but none of which could’ve been better. And mostly I can be glad that we're through it. But what has been truly extraordinary about this journey has been the people involved. I made people wear nametags at the party (jim thought it was really funny that I wore one myself, but hey) because there were people there from all aspects of our lives: family, work, friends, school… and not many people knew each other. “Introduce yourself to someone”, I told the crowd, “because, believe me, you people are good to know.” I should know.
Just a few things you all have given over the past year:

  • Cards to cover a wall in the kitchen and fill a huge scrapbook
  • Food for 6 months, and the pounds to prove it (Yum!)
  • Over 700 hours (18 weeks) of donated leave
  • Hundreds of blog comments
  • More chemo buddies than sessions (and a reputation at the clinic for crazy behavior)
  • Free parking at daycare
  • An “infusion fusion” mix cd for each chemo session with a follow up “Ode to the belly boob” best of collection
  • Over $10,000 to the Avon walk
  • Team TigerOx of 30+ at the Race for the Cure
  • Oil changes & lawn mowing
  • No problem filling in a month of child care when liam was out of daycare & I was out of commission
  • Enough of movies, books, and TV shows to get through 2 surgeries and 8 chemo sessions
  • Countless happy thoughts and the Village that got us through this

One of my favorite things every year is to put together a Christmas card with a bunch of photos and the typical 1 paragraph summary of the year’s events. Lately, I’ve been amusing myself with what I could write for this year (especially for folks who aren’t “in the know”) Can you imagine? Good suggestions have included “2006: F**k this S**t” and my personal favorite, an interactive worksheet of match the family member to the medical treatment:


But as I look back on 2006 and forward to whatever lies ahead, I don’t know if I’ve become any braver, or any stronger (maybe a little less of each, actually) but there’s a song, from the musical Rent that kinda sums it up for me (you know I had to include modified song lyrics in here somewhere)



Seasons of Love

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes. 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes—how do you measure, measure a year?
In nightmares, statistics, in treatments, in trips to the doctor?
In hair loss, in blogging, in laughter, in strife?
In 525,600 minutes- how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love?
Measure in love.
Seasons of love.

525,600 minutes. 525,000 journeys to span.
525,600 minutes - how can you measure a year that you never could’ve planned?
In strength that you gained, or in times that you cried?
In bravery you feigned, or how hard you tried?

It’s time now to sign out, tho the story never ends
let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends.
Remember the love!
Measure in love.
Measure your life in love.
Seasons of love!

(singitwithmenow)

13 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure will be great to get these 525,600 over with for good. You are truly an inspiration.

Love...Dad

 
At November 10, 2006 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always love a happy ending! Here is to many more years with many more happy endings for you and your family!

In peace and grace,
Kar & J

 
At November 10, 2006 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn -

I'm not certain what to do given I have the website linked as one of my "favorites"....I think I will keep it there just to remember all that you've accomplished this year. The e-mail police will likely be bored now that I won't be blogging. I might use the extra time in my day to get something else done or perhaps just eat another piece of chocolate and be thankful for another day. Thanks for taking us with you on your journey. You really did all the heavy lifting - we were just there in case you needed a hand.

Sending you happy thoughts today and every day.

BBW Fan Club President - Pasadena

 
At November 10, 2006 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stamping that song in my mind for the last.. um.. 73,440 or so minutes of this year!

I'm happy I'm a built in part of this village, and that I could be there to support you during the tough times. I've always believed enduring negative things make the positive events that much better. And after the slew of bad you dealt with this year, you're due for a boatload of good :)

You rule!

love,
T

 
At November 10, 2006 2:59 PM, Blogger abigail said...

carolyn,

glad i found your site, i'll totally miss it, but i'm glad your annus horribilis is pretty much over. take good care, and look me up if you ever come to sin city (NYC)...

lor/abigail

 
At November 10, 2006 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
Wow! What a year! And I wait until the end to get up the courge to write back. I have read, and reread every post. You have no idea how lucky you are. Really.

Hopefully you have heard this comment a lot - you need an agent and a publisher - for the book!

Take good care!
Katharine Misken

 
At November 10, 2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter what you say...you are strong and brave! You were before you got cancer...and you still are :-) As far as answering the question "Where do you see yourself in 5 years??"...Alive and happy!! That's all that matters :-) It's amazing how quickly one can gain perspective after a year like this. Good things to come....it's your turn! I love ya Cari!

 
At November 12, 2006 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sure. Make me cry one more time, why don't ya? Well, what a year it has been ... a year that I am sure we would all like to forget, but we can't. All I know is that you were very brave to share this with all of us. I felt like I needed some bravery each time I read your blog. Looks like all our collective bravery did some good. It was terrific to have you and Jim out for a visit recently. It was fun to talk about nothing and just hang out. I can't wait to do it again!

All my love,
Kathryn

 
At November 12, 2006 11:38 PM, Blogger bmacpiper said...

So does that make you Mimi, Maureen, or Joanne? I'm voting Joanne, although I DO like to moo in public places--I have a long standing tradition of inciting moo riots when leaving concerts and sporting events.

I am so glad to have contributed profanity to your blog one last time...I feel like I'm losing my swearing forum--guess I'll just have to post it to my own blog or perhaps leave vulgar comments for unsuspecting strangers.

Thank you for all the displays of courage and amazing-ness over the past year, and for letting us all be a part of it. And thank you to the village for continually restoring my faith in the human condition. There is no question for me that being able to help in some small way was cathartic. I think I would have gone totally insane if not for that and your blog. Though none of us would have chosen this for you, I guess we've all learned something or another from it. I think what I learned is: never get cancer. :) More of that stupid and cliche character-building B.S. I say, to hell with character--I'll take less character to go with no chemo any day of the week!

There's a group of (admittedly crazy) motorcycle riders out there who pursue long distance awards from the Iron Butt Association (www.ironbutt.com). On one of the BMW forums, a number of guys were going on about their IBA awards, and another (non-Iron Butt credentialed) member proposed the creation of the Marshmallow Butt Award, for riders who find the ride to Starbuck's for a latte to be too taxing, and then head home to recover for the rest of the day in front of a football game on TV. It just reminded me of that whole "it builds character" thing--sometimes a day on the sofa is just the ticket.

And what does this have to do with your final blog entry, you ask? Hmmm...no clue, just rambling. But I wouldn't want to suddenly become concise at this point, now would I?

Wishing you all the best, and always here when you need me.

No day but today.
bmc :)

 
At November 14, 2006 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow bmc, you are a hard act to follow but I will give it a try.
I will miss your entries though, do you have your own blogsite??

Carolyn, I have been thinking alot lately of how charmed and charming you really are. The first time you entered my life was simply another day at the job event.

You, Jim and X showed up in my room for an orientation. Nothing extraordinary there. Then X came to school and you cried and Jim comforted you. That afternoon at lunchtime, we got to meet the entourage of the Nobel Rudolph supporters. Jeff, Carol, Linda, Jim and you were there and that is when I thought "these are not ordinary people". The love and support your combined families have shown is heartwarming and explains why you are who you are. A compassionate and loving person who courageously butts head with all challenges with humor, love and determination.

I could go on and on. I know I will be returning to these blogs often as we embark on our own Circus of Cancer ride. As you know, my mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is having her first and hopefully last surgery tomorrow. Villagers, please pray for her, we need all the help we can get.

Carolyn, after I came to terms with my own circus, I started wondering what the cancer was all about. I finally determined that for me it gave me a chance to reprioritize my life and to try to look forward and make choices I would not regret. Maybe that is what it is all about. It may take a toll on the body but does make one a better person in some strange way.

Karlynn, I have one question for you. What is juju?? I have been wanting to ask you that for a long time and realize this is my last chance to do so.

Peace out all,

Lorri

 
At November 19, 2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Carolyn,
In many ways your journey has just begun and the knowledge you have gained during the past year will get you through a multitude of trials. And don't worry, I can't seem to wrap my arms around the pink ribbon club either. I keep trying, but alas, no ribbon magnet on my car, no ribbon pins adorn my jackets. . .membership is not mandatory (thank goodness because I'm sure my HMO would deny the membership fee).
No one truly understands the experience unless they have experienced it. Thank you for allowing me to understand you and for understanding me. No one walks this journey alone and lucky for you you have an entire village (real and virtual) who will be walking with you always.
Many blessings to you and your family.
Jeannette

 
At December 10, 2006 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy and sad to see the end of you blogging. as you know, i think your blog is a wonderful represenation of your journey. best of luck and courage in the future.
oh, by the way you do still need to keep in touch.

 
At September 15, 2011 12:43 PM, Blogger David Haas said...

Hello,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home