Thursday, January 12, 2006

IN THE DARK

The night I found out (Wed Jan 11) was a long one. Jim, although not a good sleeper as a rule, has the enviable ability to sleep in difficult situations. When we were in Bolivia on a bus on less-than-single-lane road up a cliff from which I was fairly sure we were going to plummet to our deaths at any moment (and I’m not the one afraid of heights) he kept dozing off. When I was in the hospital and induced to give birth to Liam, he could hardly keep his eyes open. And now, this of all nights, he fell easily into an exhausted sleep. I didn’t begrudge him the ability, I was just envious (and a little in awe).
At 10:30 I took some cough medicine with codine, thinking that would help. About when I got drowsy, Liam woke up. At first I was happy to have the company. I wasn’t that happy 2 hours later when I still couldn’t get him back to sleep. Could he sense it somehow? Doubt it. More likely just a brash reminder that this crazy life we’re in --especially the youngest participants-- aren’t going to stop just because my world got rocked. (I think this is a good thing.)
The lucky thing is, I’ve had a lot of practice with limited sleep as of late, so it wasn’t too hard to go to work on 3 hours of sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home