Wednesday, January 11, 2006

AT LEAST IT’S ME

One of the best things about this is that it happened to me, and not to my kids or my husband. When Liam was quite sick about a month ago, for awhile they didn’t know what was wrong, and when they finally came up with a diagnosis of RSV (as the Dr. put it, I have really good news for you that would be bad news for other people), given some of the alternative diagnoses, we were thrilled. On oxygen for a week? No problem! Funny how it’s all so, so relative (this is turning out to be a recurring theme). I think I might have felt worse when Liam was sick and I wasn’t sure what was going on than I did (do now?) when I found out about myself.
How do I tell my dad and my mom? My mom’s not even here (she was visiting her mom in Ohio) They will feel so helpless. Being a parent makes me understand how hard it will be for them. (side thought: thank god I have boys) Maybe worse than for me. And even worse for jim, my sweet jim. It’s all we can do to balance the tightrope of both working and the 2 little kids. When one of them gets sick it’s mayhem—what will this do to our finely tuned 70 plates-in-the-air juggling routine? Maybe we’ll just put the plates down for awhile.

So I told them. They were shocked, like me, but took my lead and were upbeat. My dad, who, like many of us, needs to DO something, came over with a highly recommended book for me that he went right out and purchased. It’s been very good to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home